Sunday, August 18, 2013

Back to Reality...

Ok, so now that I have finished my marathon blogging session, recounting our ENTIRE vacation, I can update on other things! When I told Gus I was blogging about every day of our trip, he said, "Why don't you just summarize?" I didn't want to, that's why! I turn this blog into a book every few years, and I wanted the story of our trip to be in there, in its entirety. So I did it! Woohoo!!

Anyway... About halfway through our trip, I logged onto Facebook and saw that some of my local mommy friends had gotten their kindergarten assignments (morning versus afternoon-- they still do half-day kindergarten here). Of course, I couldn't check my mail to find out-- it was being held at the post office! And I was DYING to know! Back when we registered him, the school secretary told me that she thought our address was typically morning kindergarten. So, official or not, that's what I had planned on. But I needed to know for sure. Another local mom suggested I email the school secretary to find out, and sent me her address. So that's what I did, and she replied pretty quickly: afternoon kindergarten. Afternoon?!? I don't know why that threw me for a loop, but it sort of did! I mean, Niko is actually a perfect candidate for afternoon kindergarten. He doesn't nap (ever), and afternoons are when he starts to get bored at home. And my schedule is flexible. He will be fine! It just surprised me. Now that I've had time to wrap my head around it, I am looking forward to leisurely mornings twice a week (the mornings that Maya doesn't have preschool). And I won't have to worry about snow delays!

Fast forward to yesterday... we got his teacher assignment in the mail! Another moment where my stomach was in knots. My friend had warned me about one of the kindergarten teachers, but I couldn't remember if this was the one. Or if it was the one she absolutely LOVED. As it turns out, Niko got the teacher that seems to be universally adored, haha! Not that it's any guarantee or anything, but it's a good sign, and it filled me with relief to hear people say such nice things about her. Plus, all his good t-ball buddies had this same teacher last year. I feel like, even though we ended up with afternoon kindergarten, it worked out-- because we got a great teacher. I look forward to meeting her on Friday, on kindergarten "Meet the Teacher" day! Pictures to come!

We also learned yesterday that his bus stop will, in fact, be our driveway. Perfect! I figured it would be, since it makes sense, but I am happy that it's a done deal. I wonder if other kids will have our driveway as their bus stop, too? I guess we will find out!

Anyway, we are in the final countdown before school starts. Everyone seems to finally be over the jet lag that followed us home. Today is the Chowder and Chili Challenge here in town, so we'll head over there after lunch. The kids are excited for the dunk tank, haha!

No comments: