Friday, August 2, 2013

Greece: Day 3

We woke up this morning with all four of us in the same hotel room. The previous two nights, the kids had "slept" with yiayia and papou in their apartment up the road. But the truth is that nobody was getting good rest, and yiayia and papou were especially exhausted! So we took them back in with us, and they did great. So they pretty much stayed with us for the rest of the trip. I think they were just too excited to see yiayia and papou-- it became sort of a slumber party!

Anyway... I don't honestly remember what we did that morning (since I am blogging about it after our return). I'm sure it involved going to the beach across the street and staying in the area, but I have no pictures... so it must not have been super exciting! That evening, though, we drove around the gulf to Nafplio. Nafplio is (and I am stealing this from a Google search): "a seaport town in the Peloponnese in Greece that has expanded up the hillsides near the north end of the Argolic Gulf. The town was the capital of the First Hellenic Republic, from the start of the Greek Revolution in 1821 until 1834." It has a population of around 30,000, and is one of my favorite places in Greece! It has a ton of restaurants, shops, etc., not to mention it has the castle of Palamidi looming over it from the mountain above, and the island prison of Bourtzi just off the shore. It's the place with the most nightlife in the area. And it's just really picturesque. Such a nice place to have a coffee and enjoy the view!
But I digress...

That evening, we played tourists! Papou wanted to let the kids do whatever they wanted. Niko saw these four-person bikes and wanted to rent one. Worst. Idea. EVER! It was hot already, and the thing was hard to pedal, and papou made us go uphill! Boo!! But I will say that the kids had fun. Of course they did-- they didn't have to pedal! :) Niko took great pleasure in honking the horn and making pedestrians move out of the way. We were quite a spectacle, I'm sure, haha!
Next, we took a "train" tour of the town. There was a recording, in both Greek and English, about the town's history. I missed a lot of it because the kids were talking, but I didn't care. I didn't have to pedal. It was lovely, ha!

Then, we took a horse-and-carriage ride around town. That was fun, but our carriage was very crowded (Maya sat in my lap)!
We ended the evening with dinner at a restaurant on the waterfront that had hot dogs. The kids were overtired and didn't even eat them! I had a yummy chicken gyro, though. But after that, it was home and to bed for everyone!

No comments: