Thursday, December 8, 2011

SNOW!

Well, it snowed! Just a little bit, and it's almost completely gone now, but the kids were SO excited this morning. Nikos woke me up extra early, wanting me to look outside with him. And this is what greeted us:

It was really only an inch or two deep at most, but it was very pretty. And as soon as we were done with breakfast, we threw on our jackets, boots, and mittens and ran outside to play in it. It was actually nice that it was such a light dusting, because the kids didn't sink down into it or anything. They just ran around on it like banshees, enjoying the satisfying crunch of the snow underfoot.


Nikos even tried to make a snow angel. More like a grass/dirt angel, but I appreciated the effort, haha!

And really, it was just a cold, but beautiful day. No more rain or snow, after a storm that blasted us for nearly 24 hours straight. This was the view of the sky from the kitchen window after we came inside and warmed up. I'll take it! (by the way, the tree on the right is a HUGE weeping willow that is SO pretty when it leafs out. I can't wait!)

Anyway, the rest of the day ended up being filled with mundane activities. No cookie baking, after all. Gus got home from his business trip at around 11am, and we promptly walked across the street to the bank, where we set up a new account. Our existing bank account is basically inaccessible, seeing as how the closest bank branch is in Hartford, Connecticut (an hour and a half away). So we will be closing that one!

After that, I made some phone calls and got Nikos an appointment with a local pediatric practice, who came highly recommended by my new mommy friend (her mother-in-law is a nurse there). They weren't actually accepting new patients, but my friend had greased the wheels for me and they let us in. Hooray! Our boy is as healthy as ever, but he needs a check-up before he can begin preschool in January. And that is now on the calendar-- hooray!

THEN, I made my way to the Registry of Motor Vehicles (they call it the RMV, not the DMV) and attempted to get my new license, since Gus was able to be home with the kids. I was unsuccessful, because I didn't have enough forms of identification. Grr! So dumb. But I will be able to bypass the line when I go back, since everything is already in the system except for that one piece of ID. They even took my picture, and it was HORRIBLE! But I guess that's pretty typical for a driver's license. sigh!

Oh, and I forgot! Gus went to turn on our new dryer before he left, and it wouldn't heat up at all. It was under warranty, so the repair guy came out today. After completely disassembling the dryer, he figured out that the power outlet was the problem-- it wasn't producing enough voltage. I guess there was a loose wire inside, and it took Gus about 5 minutes to fix it when he got home. But we can do laundry now! HALLELUJAH!

Anyway, that was our day! Tomorrow, we have a breakfast date with my new mommy friend and her kiddos, and then we may or may not attempt the RMV again. Or perhaps we will bake cookies. Only time will tell! :)

No comments: