Sunday, December 11, 2011

Odds and Ends

Not too much to report from these parts!

We had a lovely weekend with Gus actually home (he's traveled for business a lot lately). Yesterday, we went to the tractor supply store to price out pellet stoves. It was in a neighboring small town, about twenty minutes away through beautiful countryside. Seriously, Massachusetts is SO beautiful. There are lakes everywhere, thick forests, and then areas where it opens up into beautiful rolling farmland. And there are a LOT of farms in the area... many within our town itself, actually. So we really enjoyed the drive. And the kids loved stopping to see the cows and sheep that were grazing by the road. It was very rural and just lovely. And it's winter! Imagine it when the trees are all green! SO PRETTY!

Anyway, we didn't come home with a pellet stove, but we did end up with two kids who thought the tractor store was the coolest place ever. It is pretty neat, if not kind of redneck... But they sell all sorts of things, including the largest selection of tractor toys I have ever seen in one place. Nikos wanted all of them. We told him "maybe for your birthday." So now he's going around telling people that he will go to the tractor store when he's 5, ha!

Oh, and it was pretty cold yesterday... Like today, it hovered in the upper 30s all afternoon. So we went to get dressed to go, and both kids insisted on wearing the hats that my mom made for them. Maya has always loved her hat, but Nikos wouldn't wear his (despite its awesomeness). But he officially loves it now! Even if he resisted my photo-taking. So this one's for you, Mom!

I spent yesterday afternoon making sugar cookie dough with Nikos, then installing our new window blinds. I still have six more to go, and have lost all desire to do them. Maybe tomorrow. But my shoulders are still aching from the first seven sets. Not fun! They look great, though!

This morning, my girl and I made a spontaneous trip to the home improvement store to pick up paint for the master bedroom. It's funny... I had agonized so long over what color to choose, but then just went with my gut. And I'm glad, because it looks great! While Maya was napping (or not... more on that in a sec!), I taped up the longest wall in the room (the one where all the furniture is), spackled, and then painted it. And, since I was on a roll, I painted the wall next to it, too! I could easily finish the room tomorrow, but we'll see if I get to it or not. At any rate, here are some before/after photos of that wall! The "after" pic was taken as it was getting darker, so the color looks a little different. It's "Interesting Aqua," by Sherwin Williams. It still needs to be touched up, but I love it!

Meanwhile, Maya was very quietly removing every single wipe from the package in her room. When I went in to get her (thinking she had napped), I didn't even notice them at first. But when she said, "I take a nap with wipes today," I looked down and realized that, yes, my child's bed was piled high with wipes. And when I asked her WHY she had done this, she (very innocently) said, "I just wanted to blow my nose!" hahaha! It was good for a laugh, at least! Love that kid!

After I cleaned up the wipes, we went downstairs and decorated our sugar cookies. We'd baked them after lunch, so they were cool and ready to go. And then, after dinner, we consumed many of them. I love Christmas! (and yes, Nikos never got out of his pajamas today. It was that sort of day, ha!)

Tomorrow promises to be a productive day. More unpacking, more painting, more cleaning, more blind-installation. Followed up by an evening shopping trip with two new friends. I am excited! It should be a good day!

No comments: