Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's raining, it's pouring...

And soon it will be SNOWING! ACK!!

Up until now, we have been enjoying what the natives describe as "unseasonably warm" weather. As a native Californian, and one who has lived in Southern California for my entire adult life... it's still pretty cold, for the most part! But definitely bearable. And the skies have been beautiful and blue, up until yesterday afternoon when it rained for a bit.

And then I woke up to this view of the back yard. I actually took this picture later in the morning (around 8:30am).

When Nikos got me up at 7, I thought it was much, much earlier-- because it was so dark! And for a while, it wasn't raining at all. There was just really dense fog all around us. It was kind of cool and eerie, actually. Despite the fact that we live on Main Street, it felt like our house was the only one in the entire world. It reminded me of the movie "The Others," where the house is surrounded by fog (and the ghosts never pass that line). Spooky!

Anyway, it was neat. And then the rain began, and hasn't stopped since. It was in the low 50s when we were out and about this morning, but it's supposed to drop below freezing tonight. They're predicting we will get one to three inches of snow! That's a nice, manageable size for me. I'm mostly excited and not scared. More than that, though, and I am pretty sure I will be terrified. For a little while, at least!

Now, living in California, I would have avoided going out at all costs on a day as rainy as today. But I figured that this is a fact of life here in Massachusetts, and people don't put their lives on hold when it rains. Plus, I really needed to run errands. So we all put on our raincoats and had a very successful outing! We went to the post office to mail Christmas cards, went to Target to get some more necessities, AND went to the grocery store to buy a lot of things. As a side note... it's amazing how many things you need to properly stock a kitchen! I thought I'd gotten "everything" last week, but continue to realize I am missing essential things, like flour and sugar. Or baking powder. The list goes on and on! But rest assured, we WILL be baking Christmas cookies tomorrow!

At any rate, our trip out in the pouring rain went great, and made me feel confident about doing it again. And the kids actually seemed to enjoy the adventure! Hopefully that novelty doesn't wear off too quickly!

So that's that. I hope to have a nice snowy picture to share tomorrow, but we'll see! In the meantime, I will share this picture of yesterday's art project: a gingerbread train! My mom bought the kids this kit when she went to the grocery store with me last week. It turned out pretty well, despite some initial structural issues (and a few precarious moments, ha!). My dining room table is slowly being taken over my gingerbread creations. I love it!

Up tomorrow: Cookie-baking! YUM!!

No comments: