Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rainy Day

It never rains in Southern California. Except sometimes. And then you have a deluge.

Take the past few days, for example. It hasn't stopped! I finally gave in and braved the weather to go to the grocery store this morning, and that was not fun. Well, okay, it kind of was. Only because I had made up my mind that I was going to get soaked, and that it was all part of the adventure. But MAN, getting two kids (and groceries) into and out of the car when it's pouring rain is pretty challenging!

Other than that one small adventure, we have stayed close to home. I made cinnamon rolls from scratch yesterday, then froze them (they are for Christmas morning). We have played countless games of Hide and Seek. We've played with cars. We've baked (today: brownies). I experimented with making caramelized bacon (success!). We've cleaned. We've wrapped presents. We've watched Christmas movies. You name it, we have done it!

Nikos' big project earlier was coloring with watercolor pencils, then painting over them with plain water. The results are pretty muddled and messy, but the process was fun! I really wanted to take some tempera powder, sprinkle it on a paper, then set it out in the rain, but that didn't work out. For one, I don't have tempera powder! But then I also realized that there is just too much water out there right now, anyway-- everything would get washed away! I also thought about doing a mini chromatography experiment with a coffee filter and a marker, but realized that I don't have any markers except for Sharpies lying around. (Note to self: buy some craft supplies once this rain stops!).

Anyway, I have these cool watercolor pencils, and he liked them just fine. I wrote his name in permanent marker, and he decorated it:

Then, he painted it with a wet brush:

He liked that part, hehe!

Then he was done...

So why not play under the barstools pretending to be farm animals in stalls? Even Maya was mooing, haha!

And one last picture, of the cutest little girl cow I know!

Cooming up this afternoon: Forts made out of couch cushions. Stay tuned! :)

1 comment:

Alayna said...

Great rainy day projects! You've just described nearly every day of our lives from November to April every year, so we have lots of indoor stuff, too, and way too many soaking grocery store trips. Hope your rains end soon so you can enjoy the sun for us!