Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Little Bit of Everything!

Too much to blog about! Too little time!

First, a story... I had to use the restroom the other day, and wanted to have some privacy (for once!). The kids were playing together peacefully, so I sneaked off and locked the door behind me. No big deal. Well, Nikos instantly realized that I had disappeared, and came running to try and open the door. Next thing I knew, he was walking into the bathroom. I thought MAYBE I had forgotten to lock it, or perhaps hadn't locked it all the way. I pushed him outside, told him he needed to wait for me, and locked the door again. Moments later, I watched as the locking mechanism slowly rotated, and then he walked in again!! WHAT?? Anyway, I was finished at that point, and was washing my hands. As I walked out, I asked him how he had unlocked the door. His answer? He found "some money" and turned it "like this." That's right. The little booger found a quarter and managed to use it like a screwdriver, fitting it into the narrow slot on the outside of the doorknob. I was really impressed! He is such a little MacGyver! Way to problem-solve, buddy!

Next up, last night... I picked up the kids about an hour later than I usually do, because I decided to stop in at my staff holiday party for a bit before heading home. As I walked up to Bonnie's door, I could hear Maya crying. Both kids were stripped down to their skivvies. Apparently, BOTH of them had thrown up just moments before. Oh no! Craig (Bonnie's husband) told me that he thought maybe Nikos had thrown up simply because he had just watched Maya do it, making him gag. When we got home, I started to think he was right. Nikos seemed to be completely fine, while Maya kept throwing up (poor baby!). I changed both of our outfits at least four times, and went through countless towels. I held her in my lap with a towel on her (like a blanket) for most of the afternoon and evening. This contained the damage a lot, but there was still some spillage.

Anyway, Nikos seemed fine. He wanted dinner, and specifically asked for spaghetti. I was full from the appetizers at the holiday party, knew Maya wasn't going to eat, and figured I would just make him whatever he wanted. So spaghetti it was! He happily chowed down on it while I held Maya in my lap. Gus got home from work, and immediately took Maya to have a nice warm bath while I stayed at the table with Nikos. Once he finished up, I cleared the table and we played for a bit. A few minutes later, he rushed out of the living room, but couldn't tell me where he was going. Then he threw up all over the hallway (hello again, spaghetti). Yuck, yuck, yuck!! Maya threw up again a few more times, too. But, by some miracle, they didn't throw up at all during the night, and seem to feel 100% better today. At least it was short-lived!

And, for the record, Nikos learning the verb "to puke" yesterday. However, he calls it "yuking." And he is very apologetic when he "yukes" in the hallway, all over Mommy's socks.

Fast forward to this morning... we went grocery shopping and made some rice krispy treats. While at the market, I found these cute red-and-green antlers for $1.99! Maya loves them. And I think she is the most adorable reindeer ever!

And here's another (slightly less adorable) reindeer. I don't like pictures of myself, but was impressed that Nikos actually took this one! He has a tough time actually getting his subject in the frame, and having the focus hit the right spot. I think he got lucky this time, hehe!

Finally, one of my boy. He did not want to wear the antlers, but was more than happy to laugh at us. Just not while this photo was being taken, when he became Mr. Serious.

And how about a video? Why not, right? It's hard to believe that these kids were so sick last night. I love them so much!!

No comments: