Saturday, November 20, 2010

Another Language Post

Having studied language acquisition as both an undergrad and then again while getting my teaching credential, it always amazes me how kids pick it up so quickly. However, I have been so focused on Maya's major breakthroughs recently that I haven't paid as much attention to my boy.

Really, though, his language is impressive. He is one of the most verbal kids at daycare, without question, and the little things he says are so funny. For example, he has started to say, "Oh my goodness gracious!" when he drops a toy (and sometimes seems to drop one on purpose, just to say it). It kills me! And that's just one example out of a million!

A big thing happened tonight, though. As we were finishing up our dinner, I had a coughing fit (see previous post). Without thinking, Nikos said, "Xristoulis!" Now, my Greek is very limited, but I knew that was something. So I asked Gus, who started to explain that "It's something you say when people..." Nikos jumped in to say "Cough," which was apparently correct! I know that he understands a lot of Greek, but it was really unusual for him to produce a Greek word on his own without any prompting/modeling. I was impressed!

And one more silly story from today... He didn't want to take his nap this afternoon, though he eventually succumbed to sleep. But for the first half-hour or so, he laid in his bed and yelled "MOOOOOOMMYYYYY! MOOOOOOMMYYYYY! MOOOOOOMMYYYYY!" over and over and over again. He wasn't really upset, just yelling for the sake of yelling, I think. Anyway, he took a little break, reevaluated his strategy, and then started calling out, "BRIIIIIIIAAAAAR! BRIIIIIIIAAAAAR! BRIIIIIIIAAAAAR!" haha! Needless to say, I didn't respond. But I did think it was a clever ploy, at least! :)

No comments: