Saturday, September 26, 2009

Yummy Oatmeal!

Well, it's hard to believe, but Maya is officially in that 4- to 6-month age group where our pediatrician recommends starting solid foods. She's been showing some signs of readiness: she watches me eat, she grabs for my fork, etc. And this afternoon, on kind of a whim, we thought we might try giving her some baby oatmeal. I know most people start with rice cereal, but there isn't any huge reason for choosing that over any other baby cereal-- and oatmeal tastes better, honestly! So I mixed some up for her, and we gave it a shot!




As you can see, she ended up wearing most of it. She was great about opening her mouth and taking food off of the spoon, but then she wasn't sure what to do with it once it got in her mouth. She did swallow a few bites' worth, but she pushed most of it right back out with her tongue. No worries, though! It was a really positive first experience, and she just needs some practice. Hooray for Maya!

(oh, and we took some video, too, but I still have to edit it... so I'll share that when it's finished!)

No comments: