Saturday, September 26, 2009

Family Day

Earlier this week, my coworker (hi Angie!) and I were having a conversation about trains. She has two boys herself, so she understands the obsession with all things Thomas. And she asked me if I had ever been to Totally Thomas. I had never even heard of it! It turns out that there is a toy store near us that specializes in Thomas trains. And of course, they have a train table for kids to play with while the parents shop. At any rate, I thought it might be a fun family outing this morning, and that I could get a few birthday presents for my favorite toddler. :)

Anyway, it was awesome! This store really has just about every Thomas item imaginable. Every train, in every possible format (wooden, pocket-sized, motorized, etc.) plus all the tracks and accessories. Throw in Thomas clothing, Thomas beach towels, Thomas underwear, and Thomas dinnerware, and it really is "Totally Thomas" (they weren't kidding!). It was super neat. I got Nikos a Thomas Take-Along "James" train (the red one, his favorite) and a "Harold the Helicopter" (another favorite). They were both going to be birthday presents, but he was so sad when we left the store that we ended up giving him the James train early. It was totally worth it, to see his face light up and hear him say "thank you!" without being prompted. And he wouldn't put it down for the rest of the shopping trip. He even fell asleep in the car while holding on to James. :)

At any rate, once we dragged him out of the store, we went over to the party supply store to get a few things for his birthday party next month. We got a Thomas tablecloth, Thomas balloons, a Thomas coloring book (with tattoos! super cool!), and some solid-colored plates and whatnot. It's just going to be a family gathering, anyway, so I tried to restrain myself and not go too over the top. But our theme is trains, and he loooooves Thomas, so I thought he'd enjoy seeing that at his party.

After we finished up there, we had to go to BevMo. I say "had to," because it was right next door and it would have been silly not to go and get some adult beverages. But it sure felt funny going in there with a toddler and a baby! haha!

Finally, as we prepared to go home, we made a last-minute decision to go and eat lunch at In-N-Out. YUM!!!! Maya slept the entire time, and Nikos was a perfect little angel, sitting in the booth, eating fries, nibbling on our food, and driving James around the table.

In the end, we wore him out. He fell asleep minutes before we pulled into the driveway. But I have to say, we had a really nice morning as a family. Maya was a total angel the entire time, and Nikos had a blast. It was a great day. :)

No comments: