Tuesday, September 1, 2009

4 Month Letter

Dear Maya,

Somehow, right under our noses, you have become a beautiful little four-month-old! A third of a year has already sailed by, and you have been growing and changing right before our eyes. In fact, I'd say that this past month has been filled with some of the most dramatic changes yet!

For one, you are completely intent on grabbing things with your hands lately. You grab your feet, my necklace, our faces, your toys... You name it, and you will try to grab it! It still takes you a little while to get a grip on things, but it's incredible to watch the wheels spin in your mind. You decide you want to touch something, and then focus every ounce of energy you have on achieving your goal. You always persist until you finally make contact. It really is amazing to watch!

In other news, you are still *thisclose* to rolling over. You can intentionally and easily roll onto either side, but you just haven't figured out how to move one arm out of the way so that you will roll all the way over. You find this endlessly frustrating, and yet you continue to try and try again. You love to grab your toes and then roll from side to side, acting like the little wiggle-worm you have become. At night, I always put you down with your head facing one end of your crib... and I always go in there later on to find you facing the opposite direction. You've been waking yourself up quite a bit with all your late-night training sessions, but hopefully you will be sleeping through the night again soon. Daddy and I certainly like our sleep, though it is awfully sweet to walk in and see you smiling up at us in the wee hours of the morning. :)

Speaking of smiling... Have we ever mentioned just how happy you are? I know I've said it a lot, but you are such a happy girl. You are always flashing smiles at people, and have even startle to giggle quite a bit when the mood strikes. You especially love it when I sing "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and tickle under your chin. You enjoy your new friends over at daycare, and smile at them all day long, too! But my favorite is when I come home from work and pick you and your brother up. Your brother always has a big hug for me and yells "Mommy's here!!" but you give me the greatest smile. It tells me that you know who I am, and that you really are thrilled to see me. I look forward to that moment every day when I'm gone.

On a side note, your eyes have gotten darker this month! It really is interesting to watch them change color. Your brother's eyes became dark brown when he was about a week old, and have stayed the same color since. Your eyes, on the other hand, have gone through many changes. At first they were very definitely blue, then blue-gray, then blue-gray-brown. And even though most people looking at you these days comment on your big brown eyes, they aren't quite brown if you look closely. I tried to take a picture to help me describe them. They are brown in the middle, but almost a gray/navy blue color around the outside. I have no idea what color your eyes will ultimately end up being, but it is certainly fun to try and guess! I am guessing they will end up brown, but a lighter brown than your brother's. Only time will tell, though!

One thing that won't change over time, though, is the fact that you are our very favorite little girl in the entire universe. You are so sweet and cuddly, and you light up the room. I miss our time at home together, now that I'm back at work, but you are so easy-going that the transition to daycare was seamless. Plus, now your brother gets to see you all day! And despite what he may tell you when he's older, he loves you to bits. We all do. You are one amazing baby girl, and we look forward to all the exciting changes to come in your fifth month of life!

All our love, Forever and ever,
Mommy and Daddy

No comments: