Saturday, December 1, 2007

Woohoo!!!!

Up until now, Nikos had been napping in his crib, but spending the night in our bed. It wasn't something we had ever planned on doing (I had originally planned to put him into his crib right away... ha, ha!!), but with all the exhaustion and late-night feedings, we were ready to try anything! It worked out really well, especially once I mastered the art of nursing him while lying on my side-- I could just roll over, feed him, and go back to sleep! We justified it by saying he was still too young to form bad habits, and that Dr. Sears was in favor of a family bed (though it seems like most sleep theorists are NOT). Still, as nice as it was to wake up next to his warm little body, we knew we needed to reclaim our bed and start getting him used to his crib.

So, we put him in his crib last night. We had fully prepared ourselves for a restless night. Gus even planned on just staying up and watching TV for as long as possible (thus making it easier for him to go and get Nikos if he started crying). That plan didn't work, and we both fell asleep at around 9:30. BUT... Nikos slept in his crib until a little after 1AM, when he woke up hungry! We brought him into bed with us so he could eat, then Gus put him back to sleep in his crib (that was the hard part-- it took probably 40 minutes). He slept for another three hours in there before waking up hungry again. At that point (it was almost 6AM), I fed him and he slept in bed with us for a while until it was time to get up.

Anyway, the point is that he slept in his crib for seven hours total last night!! It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. I slept better, too, which made me realize that I'm always a little "on edge" when he sleeps with us (I don't want to smoosh him!). I know that not every night will go so smoothly, but it wasn't bad for his first time! Hooray!

No comments: