Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Baby Update

So I had my appointment this morning (not yesterday!), and everything is looking fabulous! My total weight gain (according to the doctor) is 22 pounds, which is great. I think it's actually a little more than that, but I prefer their numbers! :) The kiddo is head down, which means that the hard, round thing I've been feeling in my side is his cute little butt! I was pretty sure it was a butt to begin with, but now I know for sure. My belly is measuring 30.5 centimeters, which is right on track(the centimeters should roughly match up with the number of weeks-- 30 weeks = 30 centimeters). Last but not least, his little heart is pumping away at about 152 beats per minute. He's just an awesome little fetus! (but we already knew that!) :)

On a side note... I asked my doctor why the cuts and bruises on my legs are taking so long to heal. Between various home improvement projects and playing with Charlie the psycho-cat, I am pretty banged up (this is pretty typical for me... I bruise like a peach!). I had noticed that there is a scratch on my leg that has been there for probably three months now, and figured I'd ask about it. Well, I learned something new! Pregnancy can actually have an effect on your immune system, slowing down the platelet response to the site of an injury. Additionally, the placenta is producing so much estrogen, etc., that it affects the pigmentation of your skin. So even if a wound is healed, it might still appear pink/discolored for that reason. Sure enough, the scratch on my leg is, in fact, healed... it's just pink-looking (different from a scar- I have enough of those for comparison!). I thought that was really interesting. I hope the coloration goes back to normal when the kiddo gets here!!

No comments: