Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sugar Sugar

So I just got back from this month's doctor's appointment, which was pretty routine. The only differences were that the doc measured my belly for the first time, and that I had to take my 1-hour glucose test. Basically, I checked in for my appointment, did the usual pee-in-a-cup thing, then went downstairs to the lab to chug a pint or so of wonderful glucose drink (yuck!). It tasted like non-carbonated orange soda. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever tasted, but it wouldn't be my drink of choice! I actually drank it so quickly that I had a serious burping problem for about 30 minutes afterward. Anyway... I needed to kill an hour before they could draw my blood, so I went back up and had my appointment. I got to hear the heartbeat again, which is always awesome! It was strong and steady at 154 beats per minute. Then the doc measured my belly, which was new and exciting... He used a little tape measure to determine the distance between the top of my pubic bone and the top of my uterus-- 24.5 centimeters. He said that the measurement corresponds with how many weeks big I am measuring-- so 24.5 weeks. Right on target! The doc also said that my weight gain so far has been "excellent," so that made me feel good (since I've been feeling like a cow lately!!).

After the appointment, I went to schedule another... My doctor's office always likes to schedule two appointments into the future, so I already had one scheduled for the end of July. But the one I was scheduling today will be my first two-week appointment!! Up until now, my appointments have been every four weeks. In the third trimester, they switch to every two weeks. And, in the final month, they are every week (sometimes even twice a week). I just couldn't believe I was scheduling my first two-week appointment already... Time is seriously flying!

Anyway, after that was all taken care of, I had to go back down to the lab and get my blood drawn. (well, first I had to kill another 20 minutes... Luckily, I brought a good book to read!) Basically, they wanted to see how my body responded to sugar-- to see if I might have gestational diabetes. Considering that my mom had G.D. when she was pregnant with both me and my brother, I can't help but feel a little doomed. sigh... At any rate, they won't know the results for a few days (and even then, they operate under a "no news is good news" policy, which means I might not hear from them at all). In the meantime, I plan to eat lots of delightful, sugary treats in case they tell me I have to modify my diet for the rest of the pregnancy. Hot fudge sundaes, anyone? :P

P.S. While I was typing this blog entry, the crib bumper was delivered!! We did decide to go with the "Baby Boats" bedding from Pottery Barn Kids, and it is SO CUTE!!! I only ordered the bumper so that we could start figuring out paint colors for the room. I am so happy! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy 2 year anniversary! dang, you're growing so fast- or lil' p is. woweeeee!