Sunday, June 10, 2007

Holy Heartburn, Batman!

So far in this pregnancy, I've been counting my blessings... I have read about all the horrible ailments and conditions that can affect pregnant women, and have considered myself one of the lucky ones. After all, I never had morning sickness so bad that I was throwing up all the time (though I did feel nauseous in the evenings). And since I safely made it out of the first trimester, I have really not had any major problems besides some ongoing back pain. I haven't even had constipation, like everyone told me I would (*knock on wood!*). Really, things have been pretty good... until this week! I have now discovered the joys of heartburn! I never really had heartburn before, or at least not very frequently. I am now living in a state where I feel perpetually "on the edge" of some serious burn. I did myself in yesterday, too... We went to the Greek Festival, and I ate all sorts of fun things (feta fries, loukomathes, souvlaki, frappe, banana soda...). Then, after that, our koumbari (sponsors) took us all out to dinner at a great restaurant, where I managed to find enough room to eat some delicious gnocchi with a creamy tomato and mushroom sauce. It was so good!! By the time I finished eating, the heartburn had already begun... And by the time I went to bed, it was so bad that I couldn't sleep. I propped my head up with a bunch of pillows and took some Tums. It seemed to help a little bit, but I was still miserable. Anyway, what's my point? Never count your chickens before they hatch. (I will keep my fingers crossed on the whole constipation-thing, though... yuck!!)

P.S. I am very glad I passed on the fried cheese yesterday... I can only imagine what that would have done to me!!

1 comment:

Alayna said...

Heartburn is really the worst. I'm so sorry it's happening to you! One thing someone told me that worked when I was pregnant: when you take Tums, suck on them instead of chewing them. It's supposed to coat your esophagus more and reduce the burning. I hope you feel better soon. I had some horrible heartburn in the second trimester and it mostly cleared up by the third tri, so hopefully yours won't last too long.