Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Going to California

So, the kids and I thawed out this past week... in California! Both kids had the week off from school, and I thought it would be a perfect time to escape the tundra for some warmer weather and family time in good old Southern California. We woke up at 2:30AM last Monday morning and headed to the Providence airport for our flight-- to San Diego via Washington DC. The kids were so excited, even with the early wake-up call!
Gus dropped us off at the curb, and we were all set to go! Until, that is, I learned that the flight had been canceled. My eyes filled with tears as the guy behind the counter told me he could re-book us on a flight for Wednesday, losing over two days of our already-short vacation. No. Way. Not happening. I told him to keep looking. Finally, after suggesting other equally-ludicrous things (like driving nearly 4 hours to the Newark airport right that minute!), he was able to find seats for us on a direct flight from Boston to Los Angeles, leaving later that day.

Luckily, I had called Gus as soon as I'd heard the bad news, and he was parked near the airport, waiting for me to call him back. He circled back quickly, and we headed back home. I cried (this will be a theme of the day-- just wait!). I was so massively disappointed. In the end, we only lost about half a day, but I wanted to maximize our time with our families! And I was so nervous that the flight later that day would be canceled, too. And it was just so early in the morning, and we were all tired. We drove back home and went back to sleep for a few more hours! Or rather, most of us did. Niko announced that he was Not Tired, and I told him to entertain himself while we slept. And he did!
I wish I could say that the evening flight went off without a hitch, but it didn't. Because we were last-minute additions to the flight, our seats were not together. The guy I'd spoken to that morning said it was not an issue, and that they wouldn't let the kids be separated from me. I just needed to talk to someone at the gate before boarding. So, I did just that. I was at the desk when it opened, and the man working there seemed understanding. But the flight was full, and he was having a very tough time getting a third seat for us. He kept having to call people up to the desk and ask them if they'd be willing to switch. That's how he got the first two seats together. Then I heard him call up this older man, and ask him if he'd be willing to move. He said, and I quote, "Nope, I'm good!" and walked off to board the plan. And... that was that. Most people were already on the plane, and the guy told me that he'd gotten me two seats, but that I'd have to negotiate the third one for myself once we got on board. GREAT. Exactly what I wanted to do!

So the kids and I walk onto the plane, and locate the two seats that were together. An aisle and a middle seat. And you can guess who was sitting in the window seat... I already knew he'd said no to the workers so rudely, but I had to ask if he'd be willing to move. It would have been so easy. Nope. He informed me that he'd "paid good money" for that seat, and that he planned to sit there. (Mind you, I had ALSO paid for three seats together, including a window, but that was on the flight-that-didn't-happen.) Anyway, he was just awful. I couldn't help it-- I started to cry. Big, ugly cry! It had been a long day, and I couldn't hold it in. And shortly after that, the two other passengers seated near my single seat volunteered to go sit with the jerk himself, allowing me to be with my babies. Which, of course, caused me to cry even more. I couldn't stop! The dam had burst, and all the stress of the day just came pouring out. I was woefully unprepared in the tissue department!

Anyway... the rest of the trip was fine. The kids got a few hours of sleep, and our bags arrived without issue at LAX. By the time we got to my parents' house, it was midnight Pacific time-- so 3am for us! It had been a physically and emotionally draining day.

The rest of the trip was much better, and I will post about it over the next few days. Prepare for tons of pictures! It's just too much for one post. :)

No comments: