Thursday, February 27, 2014

California Trip: Monday

Our last day... *sniff* We went to the park in the morning, by request. We did lots of laundry. We had lunch at the house, and the kids played out in the yard (where it was sunny and about, oh, 50-60 degrees warmer than it was at our house! And with no snow!). Eventually, the kids wanted to go swimming, so I got them into their suits and we walked down to the pool. Of course, it's winter in California (brr!) and the pool wasn't heated, so we were the only ones there. The big pool was a little chilly, but I thought it was doable. Niko, after getting all the way in, decided that it was too cold. So, just like at Theia's apartment, the kids ended up swimming in the hot tub. They liked it, although Maya was upset that I hadn't brought her snorkeling gear (my bad). Mostly, I think she was tired from a very busy week. She stomped and growled at me the entire way back to the house. Fun times!
Back at the house, we did another load of laundry (swimwear), and I started packing. The kids watched "Rise of the Guardians," which we had brought with us. At dinner time, we went and got In-N-Out one more time, just because! And then it was time to head to the airport.

On the way there, Maya kept saying that she was sooooo tired, and that she just wanted to go to sleep. Cue panic! I needed to get myself and both kids checked in and through security, and I REALLY needed them to be able to walk! Luckily, they were troopers. We made it through security, and they had enough energy left to go buy some bottled water. And then... they crashed. On me. Like so:
I let them sleep. They were exhausted, and it was already hours past their bedtime (the flight didn't leave until 10:15pm). Honestly, I was having a tough time keeping my own eyes open... we were wiped out. But when it was time for us to board the plane, I needed to wake them up. Niko was a little grumpy, but was able to walk. Maya simply would NOT wake up (she's our deep-sleeping child, in case you couldn't tell). I had to carry her, her backpack, my backpack, and my purse, all while shepherding a half-asleep Niko. The kind people parted like the Red Sea and let us get on the plane without waiting in the long line. Bless them all! I think they could see that I had my hands full!!!

The moment we got settled on the plane, both kids were out cold again. And they stayed that way until we landed in Washington, DC. I was a little nervous as to how our layover would go, since they were both SOUND ASLEEP when we landed. But, again, they were troopers. We had to change terminals, which involved a train ride and a LOT of walking, but they did it without too much complaining. We ate some breakfast, and they were soon back to their normal, chatty selves.

Our final flight (Washington, DC to Providence) was only an hour long, and it was a small plane. Kind of fun, although we felt every bump imaginable! Gus was there waiting for us in the baggage claim area, and our bags came out on the conveyor belt just minutes later. We got home in time to eat lunch and get Niko on the bus to school. Yes, he went! And he was fine. We were all exhausted, but went to bed at our "normal" bedtimes that night. And since then, we've been back on track! It was an awesome vacation, and I'm so glad we were able to make it work, even if it was a jam-packed week. Until next time, California!

No comments: