Thursday, February 27, 2014

California Trip: Thursday and Friday

These were the days of the trip where it was just me with my parents, while the kids were up in Orange County. On Thursday, we had a busy day! Mom and Dad took me (early) birthday shopping at the mall. I picked out a really cool parka (on sale for $30! Buying winter clothing in California is awesome!). I also got a shirt and some shoes. After that, we went out to lunch at the Yard House (which, incidentally, no longer serves yard-sized beers. Interesting!). Then we went to go to the movies, but we had some time to kill... so we walked around the shopping center where the theater was located, and went inside of Hobby Lobby. Now, I had never been in one before. And politics aside... HOLY COW THAT PLACE IS AWESOME! I could see blowing an entire paycheck in there! It seemed to go for miles, with every sort of thing I've ever wanted or needed all in one place. Amazing. Sadly, the nearest one to us here is 36 miles away (I checked!). All I bought was a $2 heart-shaped wire wreath frame. But really, there was SO much. Especially in terms of wall decor. Incredible!

Eventually, though, it was time for the movie. So we went to watch "Anchorman 2," which my mom grudgingly agreed to. We got some good laughs out of it!

Meanwhile, in Orange County... I don't know precise details about what the kids did, but Yiayia did text me several pictures like this in the afternoon. They went to Theia's apartment and went swimming in the hot tub (the pool was too cold). It's safe to assume that they were having a great time!
-------------------------------------
Friday morning was more of the same. We took care of some banking things that could only be done with me present. We went for a long walk up to the radio tower at the edge of the neighborhood. We had an awesome view!
Later, we went out to lunch at a really excellent Mexican restaurant. Ohhhh, Mexican food! I do love living in Central Massachusetts, but Mexican food here (the REAL stuff) is nonexistent. sigh. This was so good! And we (Dad and I) had margaritas. We celebrated National Margarita Day one day early!
Back at the ranch, Mom sewed a cape to go with Maya's super awesome birthday present that I had picked up on one of our shopping trips (an Elsa dress from the movie "Frozen." Don't tell her!!!! She is going to flip!!). And I packed for the next segment of our trip, where we were headed up to my brother's house for most of the weekend. Dad picked up "The Heat" from RedBox, and we had a lovely time!

Meanwhile in Orange County (again! hehe!)... I don't know the details. But somewhere during their visit, the kids got to see Niko's godparents, which I was very thankful for! They also went to the movies-- Maya saw "Frozen" (again!) with Theia, while Niko went to see "The Lego Movie" with Yiayia and Papou. They also went to the beach and the park. I hope Yiayia doesn't mind that I'm sharing some of her pictures, but they were adorable!

No comments: