Thursday, February 27, 2014

California Trip: Sunday

Sunday started early... around 6:15, when the boys (Colton and Niko) were wide awake. Grant got up shortly thereafter, followed by me. Maya refused to get up because she wasn't done sleeping (I LOVE HER!!!). She and Riley both slept until almost 7. We all enjoyed a breakfast of Snickerdoodle, which is basically a coffee cake that Grant and I grew up with. However, I've never made it for my kids! I don't even know why not! They loved it, though, so maybe I need to dig out that recipe and get on it (I'd honestly forgotten about it). Snickerdoodle is awesome!

After breakfast, we got dressed and played some more. Maya and Colton played "Red Light, Green Light" together, and it was hilarious!!
Eventually, though, it was time to be on our way. I had Big Plans! So we got in the car, called my Aunt Dana, and drove down to... UCLA!!!!! Where it all began! I hadn't been back in YEARS... Before kids, at least. It was probably closer to ten years. And it was a short visit, but it felt really great to be "home" again! Dana, Rob, and my cousin Nathaniel met up with us at the Bruin statue, and we walked the campus. It has changed SO MUCH. But it really just felt GOOD to be there again. So many great memories! I was a little sad that the dorm area was so different, though. They've basically doubled the number of buildings in the same space as before! It was surreal! Anyway, we walked around, had lunch at the student union, and bought t-shirts at the store. We even got to see Rob's office (the kids had "office hours" with him, haha!). It really was like coming home again. sigh. Happy, happy!
Eventually, we got back on the road and navigated the fun SoCal freeways to get back to my parents' house in time for dinner. The kids ate, showered, and promptly fell asleep in their beds. Success!

No comments: