Thursday, June 6, 2013

Plants!

So... I went to the store this morning, and got some plants to put along the fence! They might not look like much right now, but they are going to be awesome when they grow/fill in a bit. On the left side of the house (as seen from the street), I planted two rhododendrons: one white, and one pink: They look small, but these two plants will easily grow large enough to cover the fence, if we let them! Rhododendrons get HUGE, and are absolutely loaded with flowers this time of year! Pretty much every house in the area has these, so we know they grow really well here. And they were on sale today-- only $8/each for the 2-gallon size! Not bad!

Then, on the other side of the house, I planted seven blueberry bushes, representing five different varieties. Blueberry bushes require cross pollination, so they should all be very happy together! I know it will be a few years before we can get a decent harvest, but MAN! That day will be AWESOME! We already have raspberries and blackberries galore... blueberries would be even better! I can practically taste the blueberry pie already! Oh, and on the far right, past the gate, I planted a hydrangea bush. Gus doesn't like them, but I do, and I also like that they bloom for a very long time (most of the summer and into the fall). Also, the science geek in me likes that their color is affected by the pH of the soil. that's kind of fun! So, that plant is my little pet project. It's far enough to the side that Gus can pretend it's not there. :)

Anyway... The plants are all in now, and I am very happy. But getting them in there was BRUTAL! The soil here is obviously very fertile, and well-drained, but it is ROCKY. I now know why there are stone walls all over the place: people ended up with huge piles of large stones after building their homes! I got quite the workout, prying boulders out of the ground. But I did it. And the kids helped me water all our new babies. I can't wait to see them grow over the years!!!

No comments: