Saturday, June 29, 2013

Crazy, CRAZY Day!

Today was kind of insane. I began my morning by participating in the Warrior Dash, which was so completely different from any other 5k I've ever done!

For one... the entire course was muddy.  The WHOLE THING. That's not typical,  but we were running all around a farm,  and we have gotten so much rain lately that the whole place was a soggy, boggy mess. The running trails were rutted and covered with rocks,  broken branches,  deep puddles, and basically every ankle-twisting hazard you could imagine.  It was all very steep and narrow, and also involved climbing over a few stone walls. In other words, it was brutal! And that was just the running portion!!

We eventually got to the obstacles.  I did all but two of them.  I lost my momentum on the low walls, and only made it over two before I quit. The only other obstacle I avoided was climbing over a large haystack-- not because it was too hard,  but because it looked painful!! Hay is nasty stuff!

I did,  however,  do some things that I still can't believe. I climbed over a GIANT (15 to 20-foot-high) wall, hauling myself up with a rope and climbing down the back. I climbed mud hills and slid down them into pools of muddy water. I walked across a series of narrow, mud-covered boards suspended over a big muddy pond (and didn't fall!). I navigated the pile of old tires (easy). I scaled a VERY high cargo net, and also did a lateral cargo net climb. I JUMPED OVER FIRE (way scarier than I thought it would be!!). And then I waded through thousands of gallons of mud while ducking under strands of barbed wire. I needed help with that one, because my feet got stuck snd I could NOT get them out-- luckily, my running buddies were right there,  and they hauled me out. Teamwork!  There was a lot of that out on the trail today,  which was kinds of heartwarming.  Everyone stuck with their groups,  helped each other out, and cheered each other on.  It was a very cool experience!

We didn't stay too long after the race. I did my best to hose off, but it was hard to do while still remaining clothed. So we all had beers (free for participants... even at 10am, haha), and then my parents (the designated photographers) and I left. I took a shower when I got home, and now the tub is covered in mud. Oops!

And then I had a nice, relaxing afternoon... not! Haha!

As soon as I was clean,  its was time to eat a quick lunch and take the kids over to the town's 4th of July bike parade! They did great!! Niko was sad that they didn't place in the top three,  but there was a lot of competition this year! And everyone got a ribbon for participating,  which seemed to make him feel better after a while.

Then,  after that, Gus and I threw a suitcase in the car and headed about an hour away to lovely Lexington!  As in,  "the battles of Lexington and Concord"? Home to Minute Man National Historic Park?? My 5th grade teacher self was very excited!

The real reason for the trip was to celebrate our eighth anniversary with a night away. I picked Lexington because it wasn't too far,  and because of the historical significance. I wanted to see where the first battles of the American Revolution took place!

And... I did! My very accommodating husband drove me to Concord just so I could see the bridge where the first shots were fired. We saw all sorts of other cool stuff along the way, but the bridge was what I had been wanting to see since we moved here!

After doing the Warrior Dash this morning,  then walking all around Lexington and Concord,  I was exhausted and hungry, to say the least! We had a yummy Italian dinner, walked around downtown Lexington, and then came back to the hotel to relax.  The big plan for tomorrow?  Sleep as late as we want!!! I need that, after the day I had!! :P

No comments: