Saturday, July 7, 2012

No Babies Here

Who took my babies and turned them into big kids? That is what I'd like to know. We're going through some big changes around here, and it is blowing my mind. It's one thing for Nikos to get older. He's my big boy... in many ways, he stopped being a baby the moment we brought Maya home from the hospital. But Maya? A big kid? Unfathomable. And yet, here we are. sigh.

Right before she turned three, I asked Maya if she wanted a big girl bedroom set for her birthday. Her answer? "NO WAY!" She insisted that she loved her tiny bed (the converted crib) and wanted to sleep in it forever. Fine! That was easy, haha!

Fast forward to this past week... She started saying that her bed was too small, and that she would really, really ("pretty please, Mommy??") like a big girl bed. Just like her brother's.

Anyway... we ordered her this bedroom set last night, along with a mattress. It's the same brand as what we got for Nikos, which means it will be a PAIN to put it all together, but I am practically a pro by now. And I think it's pretty darn cute! We got the low dresser, not the high one, as well as the mirror that goes above it (along with the bed, headboard, and a nightstand). I might look for some inexpensive crystal (or acrylic) knobs to replace the basic ones, but we'll see. To quote Maya, "It's just PERFECT!"

Then, this morning, my girl and I went on a shopping trip, just the two of us, to pick out her bedding. After much hemming and hawing, she chose this set. I think it's cute, but she LOVES it, which is what's most important. We also picked up the matching floral sheets, a mattress pad, and a real pillow. She insists that she doesn't want the real pillow, but we shall see! She has this little tiny owl pillow that my friend actually made as a birthday party favor, and that's what she sleeps on every night. Personally, I think that the real pillow sounds more comfortable... But to each her own!

After we finally settled on the bedding, we went over to the school supply section to look at backpacks. Because yes, my BABY need a backpack for when she starts preschool in the fall. So, so surreal. She tried on about 15 different backpacks, and was torn between a purple sparkly one and a Minnie Mouse one. She ultimately chose Minnie. I was kind of relieved. The purple backpack was very pretty (and sparkly! did I mention the sparkles?), but it seemed like something an older kid might use, too. I was perfectly happy with her choosing something more babyish, haha! And it really is cute, too. Lots of pink. Very Maya.

And THEN, just now, I ordered a few leotards online for her dance class next year. So all at once, she'll be in a big girl bed, going to preschool, and starting real, organized dance lessons. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN??? I swear she was this happy little baby like five minutes ago. Seriously. I don't know when she became a big kid, but she's been flaunting it this week.

sigh.

No comments: