Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bountiful Harvest!

I know, I know... I haven't posted any pictures of the kids in a few days, and they really ARE the focus of this blog! But they have been helping me harvest things from our yard over the past few days, and they are just as impressed with it all as I am! So, behold our bounty! This is just the tip of the iceberg, too!

Cucumbers, lettuce, and green beans. We had the beans with dinner last night, along with a salad made from the lettuce. SO GOOD!!! My lettuce plants have gone completely insane. I have enough out in the garden still for weeks and weeks of dinner salads! We made pickles from a handful of the pickles, Gus ate one raw (he loves them), and the rest will be making their way into some Greek salads. I'm just waiting for the tomatoes to ripen! We also have a ton more cucumbers still on the vine. They grow SO quickly!!
And... blackberries! This is probably 1% of what's out there. Each little branch has probably 40 berries, and only the ones on the very end were ripe. So one or two berries per branch. And there are a LOT of branches. Our yard is almost entirely surrounded with blackberry bushes! Time to start looking up blackberry recipes, because we are about to be absolutely inundated!!!
Anyway... living here is just awesome. I am amazed at how things grow here. I have done NOTHING aside from planting things and occasionally checking on them... and yet, here we are! It is incredible!

No comments: