Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We have a due date!

Well, I already had a due date, but now we know when our baby girl will actually be here! I had an appointment with my Ob/Gyn today, and we talked about scheduling my c-section. I had the option of attempting a VBAC, but I'm not a great candidate (since I never went into labor on my own and then, when induced, never dilated past 6 centimeters). Anyway, it's not official yet, but she will most likely be born on Friday, May 1st! That's a mere 9 weeks from this Friday, folks! I can't even believe it! I think it's cool that she will be born on the 1st, too. Nikos already has a special birthday-- he was born on the ninth anniversary of when Gus and I started dating. But being born on the first of the month will match her two parents quite nicely (my birthday is April 1st; Gus' is July 1st). There is something sort of zen about that. It just sounds right, you know?

Since I'm on the topic of our baby girl, I suppose I should give a little pregnancy update. In the past week or so, I have gone from barely remembering that I am pregnant to being fully aware of it, 24/7. I have moments, especially after a big meal, where I feel like I am literally going to burst open. My pelvic bones are incredibly sore, and now I have this lovely sciatic pain that periodically shoots down the back of my right leg (I didn't have this with Nikos). My round ligament pain across the bottom of my belly is much worse this time around, probably because the muscles are still stretched a bit from last time. It's enough to make me wince in pain if I have to walk too much at any given time. And with my school under construction, I have to hike to and from my car every day. Ugh! In short, things are starting to get unpleasant. But with the end so close, I think I can make it!

The good news is that I have been sleeping so much better than I ever did when pregnant with Nikos, and haven't had to get up to use the restroom a million times at night. That, and our baby girl is doing great-- measuring exactly 30 weeks, heart rate 152bpm (normal range). I can't wait to meet her in just over 9 weeks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww you poor thing! I have sciatica myself and know all to well about those days when walking just isn't going to happen. My massage therapist recommended taking a tennis ball and standing up against the wall with the tennis ball in between you and the wall, in the middle of a cheek. Then you squat slowly and lean into the wall. It's kind of awkward but it helps a ton. Also - massaging your cheeks will help - put Gus to work! Hang in there lil mama!