Sunday, February 22, 2009

Three Short Stories

Tiny Tumble: Last night, Nikos went to bed at around 7:15 (as usual), and Gus and I decided to catch up on some of the shows we missed while we were gone. At almost 9:00, I heard an almost-inaudible thump (I don't think Gus heard it at all) followed by miserable wailing. We both rushed back to find a groggy baby sitting on the floor next to his big boy bed, bundled up in his blanket with big tears rolling down his cheeks. He must've rolled right out while he was sleeping! Poor little guy. After some hugs and kisses from mommy and daddy, we put him back in his bed and he slept soundly for the rest of the night. So the inevitable finally happened, but it wasn't nearly as traumatic as I thought it would be!

He Loves Me:
After hearing nothing but "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" for months and months now, I am happy to say that Nikos says MY name quite a bit these days! He even asks about me when I'm not in the room! This morning, I woke up to the sound of "MAMA!!" followed by Nikos crawling across the bed to see me (Gus had put him there, obviously... our bed is really high!). I asked him to give mommy a kiss, and he leaned down right away to plant one on my lips. And yesterday, at the zoo, when he wouldn't ride in the stroller or walk anymore, who did he want to carry him? Mama! Gus carried him most of the time (seeing as I'm in my third trimester and all), but he kept reaching for me and whimpering my name. And I have to tell you, it feels pretty good. Worth the wait, I guess!

Mommy's Helper: I just wanted to record this one for posterity. Whenever Nikos goes grocery shopping with me, he has to help me out or he gets very antsy. So every time I pick up an item, I hand it to him. He then twists around and drops it into the big part of the shopping cart. Sometimes he misses and drops the item on the floor, but he's gotten pretty accurate-- even with heavier things! I think it's hilarious, though I definitely help him when I pick up something breakable (like, say, eggs or milk). This is something he came up with completely on his own. He is such a good little helper!

No comments: