Saturday, February 7, 2009

3-Hour Glucose Test

Well... I survived! I was able to get a Saturday appointment (very convenient!), so I arrived at the lab at 7:30 this morning. They did a baseline blood draw, made me drink the same lovely orange-flavored beverage as last time, and then drew my blood every hour for three hours. My poor arm is all bruised from the needles, and I won't find out if I passed until Monday, but still-- I survived! And it was not fun!

The first hour was actually the hardest. I had no problem gulping down the glucose drink, but it did not settle well in my empty stomach. I kept burping and felt like I was going to throw up, yet somehow I kept it down. It didn't help that Rainbow was doing acrobatics in my belly, either! The second hour went by very quickly, since I was feeling a lot better and had enough energy to read my book and play games on our Nintendo DS. The third hour, I was just trying to stay awake. I felt weak and hungry (since I hadn't eaten anything for well over 12 hours), and I stared at the clock every minute or two. But once it was all said and done, and I was able to eat the tortilla chips I had stowed in the car, life was good! I ran a few errands, and was home just in time to feed Nikos his lunch.

Speaking of Nikos... He took his first two naps in his toddler bed today! After having no problems at night all week, we were still worried that the daytime naps would be a different story. Nope! He took a great nap this morning, and a slightly shorter one this afternoon, but he stayed in the bed the entire time! I just hope he keeps it up! He's been Mr. Crankypants the past few days, because it's been raining and he hasn't been able to go outside. So a good nap is a very desirable thing!

In other news... Gus is being manly today. He replaced our dead garbage disposal (hooray!) and is about to work on installing hard-wired ceiling lights into both the kids' rooms. He's been studying his Home Depot books on plumbing and electrical projects. :) Go Gus!!

No comments: