Friday, January 25, 2008

Three Month Letter

Dear Nikos,

What a month this has been for our little family! It is so incredible to watch you change right before our eyes, and you've done quite a bit of that this month. In fact, I was just looking at pictures of you when you were first born. You are hardly the same baby now!

If Daddy and I were to pick a theme for this month, it would be "HANDS!" It's like one morning you just woke up and realized that you had them. And that you could make them DO things! Suddenly, you started grabbing for anything within your arms' reach, whether it be our faces, my hair, or the little animals hanging from your play gym (you especially love the parrot with the crackly wings). Before, you didn't even seem to notice the little animals, but now you focus on them and swing your little arms at them with all the effort you can muster. One thing we've noticed about you already is that you don't give up or get frustrated very easily. You'll swing at those little animals for over an hour, if we let you! You still aren't very precise with your grabbing, but you show improvement every day.

Perhaps the biggest change in our lives, though, has been my return to work. I didn't want to go back after being home with you for almost eleven weeks, but I wasn't left with much of a choice. Living where we live is very expensive, and we couldn't afford for me to stay home with you any longer. Luckily, our next-door neighbor runs a home day care center, and you are doing well there. You seem to like Miss Bonnie and her family, and you get a lot of attention from everyone (you're the littlest one there!). Your first day there, I spent a lot of time crying. I was so afraid that you wouldn't drink from a bottle, and that you'd starve. But Bonnie has been running her day care for over 20 years, and you had a great first day. And truthfully, I enjoyed being around other adults again for a few hours. You gave me something to look forward to when I returned home, and I discovered that I had more energy than ever to play and cuddle with you. (for the record, though, I think I'd still rather be home with you... I hate missing a single minute of your life!)

Health-wise, we had a bit of a scare this month: you were sick for the very first time! I call it a scare because it was, in fact, scary for us all. You had croup, which made it tough for you to breathe and caused you to make this horrible barking sound. After a long day spent in Urgent Care and the emergency room, though, you bounced right back. We were so relieved to have our happy little man back!

As for Daddy and myself, we seem to have hit a nice stride this month. We've got a nice routine going and you're becoming more and more predictable. You really only cry when you're tired or hungry, and the rest of the time you are calm or smiley. We feel like we know you so much better now, and we don't feel nearly as incompetent as we used to. As your big brown eyes take in information from the world around you, we watch you and learn how to be better parents. So far, you're an excellent teacher!

Just the other night, Daddy was snuggling with you for a few minutes before your bedtime. He looked over at me, and said "I love him more today than I did yesterday!" The truth is, we feel like that every day. Just when we think our hearts might explode with all the love we feel for you, we love you even more. You are an amazing, adorable, awesome little boy, and we can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! WE LOVE YOU!!

All Our Love,
Mommy and Daddy

1 comment:

Alayna said...

Awwww! What a sweet letter! I love reading about everything he's been up to. Hope you all have a good weekend!