Monday, January 7, 2008

Back To Work :(

So this morning was probably one of the saddest mornings of my entire life (I actually got misty while typing that! sheesh!). I had to go back to work, and Nikos spent his first day in day care. I couldn't even drop him off-- I made Gus do it, because I was already falling to pieces. Then I cried all the way to school. I pulled it together before I got out of the car, but then lost it as soon as I walked into the office and got the "awwww..." response from everyone (I swear, sympathy can make things so much worse! I would have been better off if nobody even mentioned Nikos!). Luckily (?), my sadness was soon replaced by irritation. My students were so hyper and badly-behaved today! I'm sure part of it was due to excitement about me being back, but I think they also may have picked up some bad habits while I was gone. I never thought I'd be so happy to be annoyed, but it really did stop me from crying! I channeled my sadness into some serious disciplining!

The good news is that Nikos had a great first day at day care. HE DRANK FROM HIS BOTTLES!!! He polished off three bottles, with only a little fussiness. I called Bonnie (the day care lady-- who happens to be our next-door neighbor) at recess to see how he was doing, and he had finished the first bottle in about half an hour. The other two bottles took about 20 minutes each. Compare this to the hour a day Gus was spending all last week trying to get him to take a bottle, and that's a HUGE improvement! I was so happy-- the bottle issue was upsetting me more than anything else, but it seems to have resolved itself (*knock on wood!*). He didn't nap very well while he was over there, but I'm sure that will take some time. There were too many new things to look at!

As for me, I managed to pump enough milk at before work and at lunchtime for three bottles, which made me very happy (and I'm pretty sure I'll get enough for a fourth bottle this evening). I just want to be able to replace what he's drinking every day. I lost about half of my forty-minute lunch to pumping, but it was actually kind of nice. At least I felt like I was doing something for Nikos, even if it meant wolfing my lunch down afterward. I think I'll get more efficient, time wise, as I get into the routine. I think I need to shove my kids out the door a minute or two earlier. But practice makes perfect!

Anyhow... We survived. We can do this. It felt so good to snuggle with Nikos when I got home, even though he fell asleep shortly thereafter (and is still asleep right now). I missed him SO MUCH today, but I feel reassured knowing that he's going to be okay at day care. And honestly, our day care is right next door-- it doesn't get much better than that!

No comments: