Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Captain Drool says "Happy New Year!"

So we all stayed up until the wee hours of the morning, got rip-roaring drunk, and danced on the tables to celebrate the new year. Ok, maybe not... But we did go to dinner at our friend Bryce's house, where he and his fiancee, Aditi, cooked up an Indian feast for a small group of friends. It was very nice! Plus, Bryce's mom went into grandma mode and held Nikos practically all evening. He was particularly captivated by their fireplace, which was something new (our house doesn't have one). He was so sweet and well-behaved, which was a big improvement over the first time Bryce and Aditi met him, when he wouldn't stop crying!

Anyway... We got home at around 10pm, collapsed into bed, and didn't wake up again until the munchkin got hungry at 2am. It was the first time in I-don't-know-how-many years that we haven't celebrated New Year's Eve at my uncle's house in Orange County, and the first time in many more years that we slept through the event entirely. And you know what? It was quite alright! I remember back to last year, when the clock struck midnight and everyone started setting off their party poppers and singing "Auld Lang Syne"... I always make a wish at midnight, and my wish then was to become pregnant (we'd been trying for 6 months at that point, and I was starting to think something was wrong with me). And wouldn't you know it-- I got pregnant in January. And here we are, a year later, with a nine-week-old son! I'd much rather be home with my little family than out partying somewhere. So I'd have to say that this was one of the best New Year's Eves I've ever spent!

We did celebrate this morning, though, by cutting the traditional Greek vasilopita ("King Cake") that Gus' mom dropped off yesterday. It's an orange-flavored cake covered in powdered sugar, and you have to cut it in a very specific way: first, you use the knife to gently mark the sign on the cross on top, then you mark where the different slices will be. The first slice is for God, the second is for the Virgin Mary, then the rest are for the people in the household and any other things you want to have good luck in the new year (so in our case, it went Gus-Briar-Nikos-Corky-Charlie-our house). Then you eat your designated slice and, if you're lucky, you find a gold coin hidden inside that means you will have good luck all year. The past few years, I've been the one to find the coin. :) This year, though, it looks like the lucky one is going to be Charlie (the cat). haha!! I think he deserves it, though... It's been a rough couple of months since the baby entered our house and his position in our family shifted (which he was not happy about). Poor little kitty!

Anyhow... that was our New Year's celebration. I promptly got back in bed after eating my piece of cake, because I feel like garbage. I'm sick for the first time in at least a year, which is NOT FUN! So Gus said he'd take care of Nikos all day, and he just brings him in to me when it's eating time. I'm hoping that I can get enough rest and fight off this bug really quickly... I have to go back to work next week!! :( :(

P.S. I nearly forgot-- Nikos met some more family members on Friday! He met his Great Aunt Stacy (my dad's sister) and his second cousin, Nathaniel, who is only about 4 years old (Nathaniel is my dad's other sister's son). Nathaniel really didn't know what to make of him, which was so cute. A good time was had by all!

No comments: