Thursday, April 12, 2007

Not-So-Cute Story...

I have a student this year who is a compulsive liar. I mean, she makes up these totally absurd lies, and then won't ever admit that she's lying... she just tells more lies!

One example... Earlier this year, I was teaching the kids what few phrases I know in Greek. This girl asked me how to say "Good afternoon," so I told her ("kali mera"). She then tried to tell me that she spoke Portuguese, and that the Portuguese phrase sounded almost the same. Coincidentally, I had been sort of casually studying Portuguese at the time, so I knew she was full of it. I mean, it sounds like Spanish or French, maybe, but not Greek! So I called her on it. I said something like, "Wow, that doesn't sound quite right to me... I'm just going to look that up on the internet." Her response? "Oh... well, it might not be on the internet, because I speak ancient Portuguese." (Did you hear my jaw hit the floor?)

Anyhow, yesterday morning, this same girl came to me and told me that her mom had just found out that she was pregnant, too! I totally didn't buy it. So I emailed her mom a nice congratulatory note to see what would happen. Lo and behold... she is not pregnant, nor does she plan to be, ever again! So I confronted the girl about it today. Her response? "Well, I must have misunderstood something that I heard on the phone." OMG, she is such a liar!! My friend Kori suggested that her mom must have been speaking in modern Portuguese (which would explain the confusion, since the girl only speaks the ancient dialect). :P Anyway, I had to share. Note to self: Cross this girl's name off the list of potential baby names. Yikes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay! vocal chords!