Monday, April 9, 2007

12 Weeks! Yeah, Baby!

Am I showing? Am I showing? Am I showing??

I think I am, although my overall weight gain has been a whopping two pounds so far. I think most people wouldn't know it to look at me, but I can definitely see a little belly. And it's not the same as having a pudgy belly that I can "suck in" when necessary. This little belly doesn't go anywhere!!

Anyway... Yesterday and today were great days. We spent Easter with both our sets of parents at Gus' parents' house. They had a big party, with 30 or 40 people, and not one but TWO lambs roasting on spits (with teeth and eyeballs and everything!). It was fun! We broke the news to Maria and Manolis, our wedding sponsors (or koumbari). According to Greek tradition, the koumbari become the godparents to the couple's first baby-- which means this pregnancy is a big deal to them. They even earn the titles of Nouno and Nouna. Needless to say, they were ecstatic! :) Letting the cat out of the bag also finally allowed Nick and Fofo to tell all their close friends that they were going to be grandparents-- something Fofo was very excited about. So we had a good time, although we didn't get home until after 10 (and if you've read my previous posts, you know that is way past my current bedtime). It was tough getting out of bed this morning- ugh!

Today was fun, though, because I gave the poster (see previous post) to my boss to display in the staff lounge. She posted it after school started, but before the first recess at 9:45. From that point on, it was a day of hugs! I swear, I got hugged by everyone. It was so happy! On top of that, today was the first day of Teacher Appreciation Week. My students all brought me little boxes and bags of candy (the theme of the day, chosen by my room mom), and one mom brought me lunch from Taco Bell (I've been told I'll be getting lunch all week from different places- very exciting!). Awesome day!

I finally broke the news to my students after recess, and their reaction was pretty hysterical. I actually didn't know how to tell them-- isn't that weird? I was tongue-tied! But I basically told them that I had something really important to tell them, and that I had been keeping a *SECRET* from them. That caught their attention! And then I asked them if anyone had any guesses. A few kids guessed some really random, school-related things, and then my classroom phone rang. As I went to answer it, I heard someone say something about being pregnant, and that sort of sent the kids into an uproar ("Why would you SAY that?" "She's not even fat!!" "Oh my God!! I'm telling!"). So when I got off the phone, I asked what all the commotion was about. The kids were more than happy to rat out the poor little girl that suggested I was pregnant. Which was perfect, because I got to say, "Well, you know what? She's RIGHT!" The kids went absolutely NUTS! It sent them into a frenzy of asking me questions, all of which were school-appropriate (miracle of miracles!).

By the end of the day, all the students in the other 5th grade classes knew, along with most of the parents in my class. Have I mentioned that my school is pretty small, and everyone basically knows everyone else? Well, news traveled FAST- I think one parent must have started a phone chain or something. I even had parents of former students coming by to see if it was true. But it was great, because everyone was really supportive and congratulatory. And like I said, I got lots and lots of hugs. Plus, I have about twenty little girls who have all volunteered to babysit (haha!). All in all, I'd say I've had a pretty good couple of days. HOORAY!!

No comments: