Tuesday, May 1, 2007

WhooshWhooshWhoosh

Well, no ultrasound today... But I got to hear the heartbeat!! The doctor used this fun little doppler device, which is about the size of a hand-held tape recorder:

My friend warned me not to worry if the doctor couldn't find the heartbeat right away, since the baby is still pretty small... but he found it on the first try! I couldn't believe it. I could hear my heartbeat on there, too, which sounded like you'd expect it to (lub-dub, lub-dub). The baby's heartbeat was a lot faster, and sounded like a series of swishing sounds (whoosh!whoosh!whoosh!). We even heard some garbled static noises that the doctor said were caused by the baby wiggling around. Hooray! I was so excited!!! The heartbeat measured pretty high, at 153 b.p.m (normal range is between 120 and 180). If you look at one of the old wive's tales about pregnancy, that supposedly means it's a girl (which is my guess, anyway!). So... we'll see in a few weeks! :P

It was interesting to meet my doctor, too. He's really nice, and answered all of my questions to my satisfaction (and I always have about a million questions, so that's a quality I really need in a doctor!). He is this completely round guy-- I nicknamed him Dr. Roly-Poly (not to his face, of course!). Everything about him is round-- completely spherical body, head, fingers... I was trying to think of who he reminded me of, and it just now hit me. Have you ever seen the movie "Return to Oz?" There's a character in it named Tik-Tok, and he looks just like Dr. Roly-Poly!!! Mustache and everything (except Dr. Roly-Poly is a human, not a robot... supposedly). Anyway, besides an eerie resemblance to Tik-Tok, he is a very nice guy. I'm officially happy with my Ob/Gyn team. :)

No comments: