Thursday, September 13, 2012

Summer is back!!

Earlier this week, it felt like fall had arrived. And while I am really looking forward to our first fall in New England, and everyone tells me how amazing it will be, the calendar still says it's summer! I didn't want to lose out on the last week of shorts-and-flip-flops weather!

Anyway, I had sort of resigned myself to the fact that it might be over. It was crisp outside. I was burning an apple-scented candle. Maya was even insisting on wearing footie pajamas (which are adorable, but definitely not summer-y)!...
And then, today, summer came back! It was gorgeous! Close to 80 degrees, a gentle breeze, and not a cloud in the sky. And, wouldn't you know, the plans we originally had today were canceled! It was a sign! So we had a lazy morning inside as I cleaned the house, but as soon as lunch was over, we went outside and stayed there!

When we were visiting the puppies the other day, Lydia (the little girl who is Nikos' age) showed Nikos how she takes her ride-on toys to the top of their grassy slope and rolls down. It hit me-- we have a Cozy Coupe that hadn't been used since we moved here. And a much bigger slope, haha! So the kids and I played around with it, and figured out how high up the slope they could start while still safely rolling to a stop before the drop-off. We even found a little clover patch that was designated "the launch pad." And that was all they needed from me! They dragged the car up and rolled down for hours, taking turns and having a great time. It was like sledding, without the snow! I wish I had thought of it sooner! They roll down fast enough for it to be exciting, but slow enough that it really doesn't have me worried. Perfect!
They would occasionally take breaks to go on the swings (which is where I got this next picture, obviously), but they would always go back to the Cozy Coupe!
We went back inside for a while, once the kids started complaining they were hot. But before dinner, they begged to go out again. And the lighting had changed, which gave me good practice playing with the sunflare!
And, I totally bribed them to sit together, because I loved this lighting. I promised I would push them on the swings. It worked, hehe!
Anyway, it was a lovely last taste of summer, and I am so glad we were able to enjoy it! Fall will be here before we know it!

No comments: