Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Success!!

The 5th grade promotion ceremony went off today without a hitch! And every single one of my students went home immediately afterward, which allowed me to spend the rest of the day cleaning out my classroom. Talk about a great day!

Anyway, the hardest part is OVER! I feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted, and it feels fantastic! All the big field trips are done, the ceremony is over, and everything went according to plan. The next two days of school are both half days, and will mainly consist of yearbook-signing and movie-watching. Not that we could do much else, anyway, since their desks are all pretty much empty!

It was actually kind of weird today. I have had quite a few students this year who have given me a run for my money. And hey, I will be honest-- there have been times when I absolutely dreaded coming to school because of them. But seeing them today, all dressed up and on their best behavior, I realized that I really am going to miss the little stinkers. I had the distinct feeling of "this could be the last time I ever do this," and with it came this sense of sadness. Don't get me wrong-- I am SO happy to (hopefully) be a stay-at-home mom soon, but I am going to be saying goodbye to what has been a big part of my identity for the past ten years. Of course, my teaching credential is still valid in Massachusetts, so you never know... but I kind of think that I've officially burnt out.

Anyhow... I bought a yearbook this year, for the second time ever (I bought one my first year at this school, too). I am going to have the kids sign it tomorrow. It even had a whole page dedicated to my Teacher of the Year status! :) I thought it would be cool to have so I could show it to the kids when they're older... to prove to them that I really WAS a fifth-grade teacher for all those years! I don't know. I have so many mixed feelings right now. I WANT to be a stay-at-home mom, badly, but part of me feels weird that my kids will probably only remember me that way, and not as a gainfully-employed, empowered woman. Does that make sense? I do plan to pursue my photography over the next few years, but it's NOT the same as being a teacher. I need some sort of badge or medal or something for surviving in fifth grade as long as I have, haha!!

In other news... there isn't much news! I emailed our realtor in Massachusetts on Sunday to congratulate her on becoming a grandma again (her daughter is one of my online mommy friends, which is how we found her). She wrote back that evening, also mentioning that the second bank had approved the short sale! We still need approval from the first bank (which is a MUCH bigger deal), but we are one step closer to getting the house we want. So, fingers crossed for some good news soon!

Aaaand... only a few more days until ALASKA!!! I can't WAIT! :)

No comments: