Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 5: Juneau the capital of Alaska?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! I swear that state jokes are hilarious to fifth-graders! :)

Anyway... when we woke up this morning and looked out our window, this is the view that greeted us:

It's Juneau! And it's very picturesque! I was going to say it was a small town (and it certainly looks that way), but that would be a lie. According to the information we got last night, Juneau is actually one of the biggest cities in the U.S.-- in terms of square miles, NOT people!

That actually reminds me of a joke the (female) park ranger cracked yesterday during her presentation. She had told her friend that she was being reassigned to Glacier Bay, and he said, "You realize that, in Alaska, there are three men for every woman, right?" At which point she replied, "Sounds like some good odds, then!" His response? "Sure the odds are good, but the goods are ODD." haha! I'm sure she got that joke from somewhere else, but it made me giggle, anyway. :P

An interesting thing about Juneau is that, despite being Alaska's capital and third most populous "city" (after Anchorage and Fairbanks) the ONLY way to visit it is by plane or boat. There are roads within the city, but there are none that connect it to any other city. As a result, we've seen a lot of activity in the harbor this morning-- boats of all shapes and sizes, and tons of seaplanes taking off/landing.

In a little bit, we'll make our way down to the gangway and off the boat. Once on the pier, we'll meet up with our tour guide for our canoeing excursion along the Mendenhall Glacier. I can't WAIT!! I thought the Marjorie Glacier was awesome yesterday, but we should be able to get even closer to this one. Prepare for an onslaught of pics! :)

No comments: