Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 3: Day at Sea

You know what I love about cruises?? Well, there are a lot of things. But very near the top of my list is the free room service! I love that we can just fill out a little card with our breakfast order, hang it on our doorknob before we go to bed, and then the food just magically appears in our room at the designated time. All at no extra cost, and we can just roll out of bed and eat breakfast in our pajamas. Ahhh... That's the life!

Anyway, that is obviously how we started our day, and it was not bad at all! Shortly thereafter, we had to get dressed and prepare for the muster drill. That's the safety drill where everyone has to evacuate their rooms and head to their designated lifeboat area (also called a muster area). It was so COLD out there! Brr!!! Considering how nice the weather was in Seattle when we left, I was a little surprised. The wind was really whipping my hair around, and we kept getting pelted by little droplets of ocean spray. I licked my lips at one point and they tasted completely salty! I'm kind of glad that our room is up so high in the ship (we're on level 8 out of 10), or we would probably get sprayed a lot on our balcony. As it is, I can see little droplets on the outside of the window, anyway!

After the drill, we headed back to our stateroom so that Gus could take a shower. Then we decided to wander around and explore the ship some more, since there is so much to see! We walked through all the shops, etc., and ended up moseying back to the lido deck because it was almost time for lunch. Here are a few pics I took on our wandering...

This is the main atrium in the ship, where all the hospitality/concierge people are located

Here's our hallway... not too much to look at from the outside, but the rooms are nice!

And here is my dessert from lunch-- a napoleon! "They" say that a typical cruise-goer gains 1-2 pounds PER DAY, and I believe it. My tummy is quite full at the moment!

Throughout all our wandering, the ship was rocking and rolling quite a bit. This was a day at sea, and one of only two days where we will actually be out in the open ocean. The rest of the time, we will be in the Inside Passage, which is supposed to be a very smooth ride. At any rate, I am so glad that I was able to get us some motion sickness patches before we left! We are both wearing them, and feel fine. I know that Gus would have been in bad shape if we hadn't gotten them, and I am thrilled that they appear to actually work. Yay!

Right now, we are back in our cabin killing time for a bit before a presentation on wildlife in the theater. Dinner's at 5:30, tonight's show (some sort of music/dancing thing) is at 7:45, and then there's a late-night comedy show at 11:15. Tomorrow, we should be pulling into Glacier Bay right around lunchtime. I can't wait to sit on our balcony and take it all in while eating breakfast! Yay!

And just for kicks, here's what my camera saw when I held it out over the edge of our balcony and aimed it toward the rear of the boat (and no, it wasn't my nice camera!).

Oh, and on a total side note... We are seated with four other people for dinner. There's an older couple from Florida, and a dad and his son. The son was looking really bored with all our conversation, so I finally just asked him how old he was. He said he just finished fourth grade. Ha! I KNEW IT! I have a total knack for identifying fifth graders. Anyway, he was very well-behaved, which is more than I can say about a lot of fifth graders I know! :)

And one final picture! This was the towel creature that greeted us in our room after dinner. A stingray! It made me laugh. :)

No comments: