Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Big Girl

Every now and then, I am struck by what a big girl Maya is becoming. I guess it's because, in my mind, she will always be my little baby! Still, she is so much more capable than I give her credit for. For one, she's becoming quite the little engineer with her blocks. I didn't realize until this morning just how adept she has gotten at assembling little towers and whatnot. Exhibit A:

And last night, she and her brother were both jumping on our bed. In the past, I have worried about her fearlessness, thinking she might just go right over the side of the bed without thinking. But nope! She knows where the edges are and avoids them. There was one noggin-bonking incident (Nikos got a little too wild), but everyone recovered quickly. Exhibit B:

Then there are the moments like these. Maya has gotten old enough that Nikos really enjoys playing with her, and they can play on almost the same level. This is a HUGE advantage to having kids so close in age, I think! This morning, they both played with an alphabet app on my iPod Touch:

And then they both went into Nikos' room with the objective of reading all his books (according to Nikos). I'm not sure how much reading actually occurred, but there was a lot of looking.

I think this afternoon, we'll play "clean up the giant pile of books in Nikos' room." Good times!

Anyway, there are other "big girl" things, too. Her bed, for one, which she transitioned into even more easily than her brother (if that's even possible!). And lately, she has been asking to use the potty. We haven't even begun potty training yet, nor did I WANT to, but she is really interested. If she asks, I let her sit on the potty for a few minutes, while she requests books to read or scraps of toilet paper to wave around. She has yet to actually produce anything while she's there, but it is surely a sign of things to come.

Really, she is growing up so fast!! How can that be possible?

No comments: