Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Heirloom

I got home from work today, and was pleasantly surprised to find two packages awaiting me on the front porch. And one of them contained this cradle:

It's a pretty simple little cradle, but it has a lot of meaning in our family. My great-grandpa made it out of an old church pew when his wife was pregnant with the baby girl who would become my grandma. She slept in it as a newborn, and then kept it through the years. My dad and his sisters all played with it, and it eventually found its way into my bedroom. I kept my dolls in it for years, before it got passed along to my cousin Evan. I don't know if my cousin Emma ever had it but, at any rate, it wound up in storage at my aunt's house (Evan's mom). I had forgotten about it entirely until my aunt sent me an email a few weeks ago. She was cleaning out the house in preparation for her move to Oregon, and came across it. And now, it's Maya's! At least until someone else in the family has a baby girl. Until then, we are going to treasure it!!

I wonder what my great-grandpa would think about his great-great granddaughter playing with it? :)

No comments: