Friday, January 1, 2010

8 Month Letter

Dear Maya,

Happy New Year, sweet baby girl! As we finish up a decade (and your eighth month of life), there is so much to tell! But now that the moment is upon me, I am stuck. To realize that you are two-thirds of a year old already is mind-boggling. And to see how much you've grown this month confounds me even more. It's a recipe for instant writer's block!

I always thought of your brother as my baby, until the day we brought you home from the hospital. Suddenly, his hands seemed so huge, and his hair so thick. That's when it struck me that he was a toddler, a little boy, and not the infant I had always pictured him as. You, on the other hand, will always be the youngest. I think you will perpetually be a baby in my mind. But then you go and do these things to show us that you are growing up, and it always comes as a surprise. Knock it off, already! You are my baby! I'm not sure you are ALLOWED to grow up. Not so fast, anyway.

Take, for example, your creeping/crawling. I think you were mobile for at least a week before I officially acknowledged it. But within days of this realization, you were suddenly getting into everything! The second you spy something desirable, you take off at warp speed toward it. The most desirable objects are those that belong to Nikos, of course. You like your own baby toys just fine, but there is something oh-so-inviting about an unattended pile of matchbox cars. And while you are very pleased with your newfound mobility, your brother is going through sort of a possessive phase. He is not too certain about your ability to move, especially when his toys are at stake. But I'm sure he will change his tune once you are able to run around and play with him. I can't wait for that time to come!

You also celebrated your first Christmas this month, which was quite a success! Now that you are an accomplished sitter (another task mastered in your eighth month!), you enjoyed sitting and clawing at the wrapping paper, even managing to get little shreds off all by yourself. Despite having three different Christmas celebrations in one twenty-four hour period, you didn't shed a single tear. Instead, you were your usual happy, even-keeled self. You did start to nod off during dinner on Christmas Eve, but you still managed to pull it together until your regular bedtime. Way to go, kiddo!

In other news, your sleep is getting better, after (yet another) Ferber refresher course. You are only waking once a night to eat, and that nighttime waking seems to be getting later and later... I wouldn't be surprised (or saddened, for that matter) if you dropped it completely in the near future. You are also starting to take fairly long naps in your crib during the day, as opposed to your carseat (you have been a carseat napper since day 1!). I also think it helps that we switched you to formula during the day, and you are getting more to drink than you were before. I just couldn't keep up with you anymore! I still nurse you in the morning and at night, but you seem a lot happier with our current arrangement. Oh, and I nearly forgot-- you tried your very first finger foods (apple cinnamon puffs) on Christmas Day! You still aren't 100% sure what to do with them once they are in your mouth, but you will get there soon enough.

I don't have much else to write, except that you continue to be a constant source of sunshine and happiness in our lives. Even your brother, who can get incredibly cranky at times, tends to cheer up when you aim your irresistable smile at him. He adores you so much (except when you are trying to eat his cars), and loves to hold you and give you little kisses. You are SO loved, little girl, by us all. And while I can't believe it's already been eight months, I still look forward to whatever is coming next. WE LOVE YOU!!

All our love,
Mommy and Daddy

No comments: