Thursday, November 5, 2009

Exposed!

Well, one of my worst fears was realized today: one of my students walked into the classroom when I was pumping! Yes, you read that correctly. Ever since I returned to work after having Nikos, I have told my students time and time again that they needed to learn responsibility, and that they would NEVER be allowed back into the classroom during lunch. Ever. If they asked what I was doing in there, I would tell them that I was making very important phone calls and getting some work done, and that I couldn't be interrupted. I always locked my door, closed the blinds, and made sure all my neighbors knew what was going on so that they wouldn't let my students inside while I was pumping (their key opens my room, too).

But alas, one teacher forgot.

The teacher next door happened to be walking out of her room, just as one of my students was returning to my door (to find it locked, of course). He told her his sob story: he had left his wallet in his desk, and it contained his lunch money. Being the kind person she is, she agreed to let him in so he could get it. I heard the key turn in the lock, and a surge of panic washed over me. I quickly did my best to cover up-- luckily, I was wearing a big sweater over a nursing tank top, so it wasn't too hard (this is not always the case!). I got down as low as I could in my chair. As this little boy walked in, I told him to get out. He looked at me, very confused, and started to explain that he needed to get his wallet. Honestly, I was a little hysterical at this point. The adrenaline was pumping (no pun intended)-- I pretty much screamed for him to get out. That was when my coworker suddenly realized what she had done, whisked him out of the room, and then came in to apologize profusely (while I was still pumping, which is actually sort of funny, in retrospect... Her kids are all around my age, and they all have young babies. I don't think she even thought twice about the fact that I was pumping. Especially since I was covered up!).

At any rate, there is no way that this kiddo saw anything, except for possibly the pump itself (no nudity, thank goodness!). I'm sure he was mostly just very confused. I emailed his mom, who I have known for years now and who also happens to be my Room Parent. But I think that it's pretty much a nonissue, at this point.

Still... My heart was pounding so hard. I felt so completely vulnerable! I almost thought I was going to pass out right afterward. I hope that was the first AND last time that sort of thing ever happens!

No comments: