Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Son is a Genius!

Ok, so "genius" might be a little extreme. But seriously, his ability to pick up other languages is amazing. I know kids his age are little sponges, particularly when it comes to language, but it's still unbelievable to me.

For example, his Greek. He only hears Greek when he visits Yia-yia and Pappou, and yet he understands so much! Gus decided yesterday that he was going to start speaking to Nikos only in Greek, and it was really impressive to see him respond. Gus would ask him questions in Greek, and he would reply (appropriately) in English. And when Gus told him it was time for his bath, Nikos replied with "Let's go"-- in Greek! It is just unreal!

And then there is his Spanish, which is a product of his obsession with the TV show "Go Diego, Go!" He picks up so many words from there, which I never expected. Last night, he was playing with his little stuffed penguin, making him jump around on the dining room chairs. I knew he was saying something, but I couldn't quite make it out... Well, when I went over there, I realized he was saying "Brinca! Brinca!" ("jump! jump!").

Anyway, it's so amazing to watch him learn things so quickly. I look forward to when Maya is this age, so we can have conversations as a family! :)

No comments: