Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sad Thoughts

Well, I have come to the unhappy realization that my summer is almost over. While I don't have to be back at work until the 18th, I really need to start going in next week so that I can get my classroom in order. And seeing as how everything is currently in boxes, that will be a monumental task.

What this also means, though, is that my maternity leave is drawing to a close. My baby girl will start daycare on Monday. The paperwork has all been taken care of, and I've even already brought over a package of diapers for her. She's all set, and I know she will enjoy it over there just as much as her brother does. I'm not worried about her at all... but I am really sad that our special time together is ending.

This maternity leave has really been awesome. Because we chose to continue sending Nikos to daycare for a half day every day, Maya and I have had lots of one-on-one time together in the mornings. I wanted her to have the benefit of my undivided attention, because it seemed only fair. After all, Nikos had our undivided attention for over eighteen months! I have really enjoyed these mornings. We've gone on lots of walks and shopping trips together, from running errands to wandering the mall. We sang songs, played with toys, baked cookies, and listened to lots of music. And since she was born in May, I was able to only miss six weeks of work and then have the entire summer with her! Nikos started daycare right after he turned two months old, but Maya will be just over three months.

Anyway, I will miss her terribly. And of course, I will miss Nikos, too! But Maya has been practically chained to my side for the past three months, and it will be so weird to drop her off in the morning and not see her until the afternoon. Like I said, I'm sure she will be fine. But it may take me a little while to become "fine" myself.

Seriously, on days like this, I want to be a stay-at-home mom. If only we could win the lottery...

No comments: