Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day

Today was Maya's first day at daycare. And it went well, just as I expected! She took a long nap in the morning, drank from her bottle without any problems, and was very content. I had decided to pick her up at 1:00, so that I could nurse her (as opposed to another pumping session, which is never fun). Nikos, on the other hand, would stay until 4:00. That way, he'd get back in the habit of taking his nap over there, which is what he does during the school year. By the end of the week, both kids will be over there until 4:00 and we should be all set to go.

When I went to pick my baby girl up, though, Bonnie told me something funny. Apparently, Nikos is really attached to his little sister! The way it works at her house is that the kids move through various areas of the house throughout the day (the playroom, the back yard, etc.). They all stick together. But babies are the exception to the rule-- they stay out in the kitchen/living room basically all day, where someone is constantly keeping an eye on them. Well, Nikos did not like this arrangement one bit! He apparently threw royal fits whenever Maya was in a different room! And while throwing fits is not a good thing, the fact that he wanted to be with his sister totally puts a smile on my face. :)

Anyhow... I spent a few hours working on my classroom this morning, but didn't make much of a dent in it. Mostly, I spent time wandering around the school, since it looks completely different now that all the remodeling is finished. And, of course, I had to talk with various people and catch up. :) But I accomplished my goal for the day, which was to basically assess the situation and come up with a game plan. I arranged all the furniture and began the long process of removing all the boxes from my cupboards, unpacking them, and then putting things back into the cupboards in an organized fashion. I also played with the new technology-- I now have a ceiling-mounted LCD projector that is controlled by a panel on the wall. It is awesome!!

Oh, and I also found a few presents waiting for me from last year's students, including a travel much that can be personalized with baby pictures and a big package of pencils with my name on them! WOOHOO for presents!

At any rate, things went well today. I even got both kids up and ready for daycare all by myself! Just for the record, this is how I did it. Next week, I will have to move everything a half-hour earlier so that I can be out the door by 7:15.

6:30 I wake up, get myself ready. In theory, this is when I also eat my breakfast. In practice, this did not happen, at least not today!
7:00 Kids wake up. This is when I ate breakfast really quickly, letting Nikos have bites (he eats breakfast at daycare, but really loves bagels and cream cheese). Feed Maya and change her diaper. Change Nikos' diaper and get him dressed. Grab bottles from the fridge and put them in the cooler bag.
7:30 Drop kids off next door. Come back home and pump quickly before leaving.
7:45 Out the door and off to work!

Also, Gus will be changing back to his regular work schedule in the near future, so I will have his help in the mornings. I thought that having two kids would be so much harder, but really it's not so bad! At least not today! :)

No comments: