Friday, August 21, 2009

First Day of School

Well, I survived! haha! Actually, it's funny... I have been at this school long enough now that I know more and more of my students before they ever set foot in my classroom. This year, I have a few students who I have known since they were wee kindergarteners (when I taught their older brothers). In fact, nearly half of my students are the younger siblings of other students I've had over the years. And while it's nice to already have an established relationship with some of these kiddos, it also has its drawbacks when it comes to classroom management and discipline-- they think they can just talk to me whenever they want to, without raising their hands. So it should be an interesting year!

Anyway, my legs are sore from standing and running around all day, and my throat is raspy from all the talking about rules and regulations. I'm glad that tomorrow is a Friday, because the weekend can't get here soon enough! I also found myself missing my babies more than ever, today. I think it was because a lot of people were asking about them, so they were constantly on my mind. It was so nice to come home, get them from daycare, and get my daily fix of baby cuddles. It was definitely the highlight of my day!

In non-work-related news, though, Miss Maya has decided that my return to work means it must be time to stop sleeping through the night. For the past week or so, our baby girl has woken up at about 1am every morning. She's not hungry or upset, either-- I really think she is going through a cognitive growth spurt, and just needs some time to "work on" various things. Rolling over seems to be at the top of her "To Do" list, and she is often lying on her side and trying to kick herself over to her tummy when she has her nightime wakings. Most of the time, she just makes her happy little noises for a while before eventually sounding frustrated, and then she goes back to sleep once we go in and give her the pacifier. Last night, though, she was up for nearly two hours until I finally decided to nurse her (I didn't think she was hungry, but I was desperate for sleep). I just hope she figures out how to roll over soon, so she can go back to being the awesome sleeper we know and love. Especially now that we're both working full time. Sleep is vital!

Nikos, too, has been having some sleep issues, but not at night. He has been fighting his nap at daycare, sometimes forgoing it completely, other times sleeping an hour at most. He got used to our summertime arrangement, where I'd pick him up after lunch and he'd nap at home-- it's amazing how he can remember things like that so well. Anyhow, he's been giving poor Bonnie a run for her money. He simply does NOT want to sleep over there when he could be in his own bed instead!

So, that's where we stand at the moment. One kiddo refusing to nap, while the other has been waking up at night. And work is good, but I feel like I'm running on fumes. Here's hoping things get better soon or I find some miraculous hidden energy source!

No comments: