Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Whole Week?!?

Seriously, have I ever gone that long without blogging before? How did that even happen??

Well, I suppose the answer is pretty obvious. I'm working again, and teaching always takes a lot of time and energy-- particularly at the beginning of the year, when I am still getting to know my students, and they are getting to know me and understand my expectations. Setting yourself up for a successful year is a lot of work. Oh, and then there's Back to School Night, which is incredibly exhausting. It's funny. I have no problem speaking in front of the entire 5th grade (~90 students), but put me in a room full of about 30 parents, and I get SO nervous!! I think that's why I am always so tired afterward. I literally run out of steam! It went smoothly, though, and the parents had a lot of nice things to say about the class so far. So, yay for crossing another big thing off the checklist of major school events!

In the meantime... my return to work has meant, of course, a return to daycare. And germs (from both daycare AND school). Maya has already had croup (earlier this week), and Nikos seems to be experiencing a much milder form of it now. And Maya's still sick, with a fever that comes and goes, a nasty cough, and general fatigue. This, combined with the fact that Gus had an important meeting at work today, meant that I had to put in for my first substitute of the year-- in the second week of school! Yikes! It's never easy to have a sub, but it's especially hard when our classroom routines are still being established. Not fun, not fun.

Anyhow... The little sickies both seem to be doing a lot better. Just look at the photos from today! We'll start with the low point of the day. After her nap, Maya was completely inconsolable for about 30 minutes.

About five minutes after I took this, she decided she wanted to pretend to be a puppy, and she was happy the rest of the day. And really, they did alright for a couple of sick kids! They stayed in their pajamas and had a pretty low-key day, but Maya had fun playing the piano (safety first! I'm telling you, she's crazy) and both kids had a blast jumping on our bed for a few short minutes before they got winded and had to rest.



Maya's still coughing a lot in her sleep tonight, but the fact that she remains sleeping is an improvement! Here's hoping tomorrow brings happy, healthy kids who can enjoy the fun weekend planned for them. Fingers crossed!

Oh, and just for fun... Another one of Nikos' drawings. This one is a car, presumably with eyes (like the ones in "Cars," his favorite movie of all time). It amazes me that he can draw things now that are recognizable. To me, at least! I knew what this was the second he showed it to me. Go Nikos!

1 comment:

Alayna said...

So sorry about your sick kiddos :( I hope they're starting to feel better today. I think you have every right to be exhausted! You have a lot on your plate. I hope these first weeks of the school year treat you well and that you get some chances to rest, too. Thinking you guys lots of good thoughts!