Monday, September 19, 2011

He Writes!

Attention everyone: I think we are on the brink of a developmental explosion! For the past few weeks, Nikos has been coming home from daycare with various papers (mostly art projects) that have his name written on the back. Only the name hasn't been written in Bonnie's typical handwriting-- this writing was distinctly childlike. Still, I didn't know if Nikos had been doing it himself, or if Bonnie had been doing it with him hand-over-hand. Nikos said he was doing it himself, but resisted all my requests for a repeat performance. And, knowing my boy, I didn't push the issue. I knew he'd do it when he was ready.

And he was ready today, apparently! He sat right down at the counter and proceeded to write his name quite a few times! The first time, he wrote it too big and ran out of space. I took a video of the second time (below). He did better with his letter "K" the third time. But seriously? This blows me away.

Add to this the fact that the kid is getting seriously good at sounding words out, and is starting to draw more and more elaborate pictures, and I am just stunned. It's like everything is clicking in his mind all at once. He drew Gus a picture this afternoon of 5 different cars, all of which are easily recognizable and more complex than what he's drawn before. Each one is a different color, too, creating sort of an Andy Warhol pop art vibe. Amazing! Where did this kid come from, anyway? He's going to be writing novels by the end of the month, just you wait and see! :)

No comments: