Sunday, September 4, 2011

Life Without Kids

We are currently childless, as the kids managed to get well enough to spend the weekend at yiayia and pappou's house. We know that they are having a blast (and most likely getting spoiled rotten), and it's been nice to have a little taste of freedom-- though we still miss them terribly. It's just that having kids is an entirely different lifestyle. You are constantly working things around their schedules (naps, meals) and their attention span. I could never spend more than 15 minutes shopping for clothes or shoes with them both around, because they would be DONE after that long. So, today has been sort of luxurious!

We started the weekend by attending Gus' coworker's wedding. The guy is very shy and kind of reclusive at work. So imagine our surprise when there were 500 people at the wedding! They are apparently very active in their church (they met in Bible Study), and so they invited pretty much the entire congregation. It was a lovely wedding, despite the repeated emphasis that the man is in charge of the woman, and that a wife should always submit to her husband's will, etc. That was a bit much. But, like I said, it was otherwise a very nice wedding. My favorite part was when the six flower girls and six ringbearers had to walk down the aisle, and half of them erupted into tears and wouldn't go. I think everyone had a good chuckle at that!

Anyway... After the wedding (which was in the morning), we spent the day working on various projects at home. Then we went out to dinner and a movie. We saw "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," which was really, really good! It was definitely a "Gus choice," but I have to admit that I enjoyed it. :) This morning, we both slept in (a rare, rare treat!), and I spent a few hours going shopping. Oh, the luxury of trying things on! It was fun. I also did our weekly meal plan and grocery shopping, which was less exciting, but at least all of my weekend chores are done. The kids are coming home tomorrow morning, so we'll be able to focus on family time all day. I can't wait!

Oh, and I also worked on an art project today! Not too long ago, I discovered the wondrous site known as Pinterest. It's basically a site where you can save/organize your computer favorites. It also saves a picture with whatever link you've chosen, and then you can write a little comment about it ("Must try this slow-cooker recipe!" etc.). Meanwhile, your friends (and really, everyone) can see what you've pinned... so the ideas are just flying all over the place. I am constantly getting amazing ideas from there, most of which I am saving up for when we move. I have, however, tried a ton of new recipes because of Pinterest. And I've found some winners, too!

But I digress... A few weeks ago, I saw this idea on there for an art project: get a canvas, paint it however you'd like, and then paint onto it the lyrics from your "first dance" at your wedding. While I don't plan to put this up until after we move, I wanted to make it now-- while I still have access to the awesome LCD projector in my classroom! So, that's what I did today. I'd already painted the canvas, but I went into my classroom for about an hour to do the lyrics (I had them in a PDF file). It's definitely not perfect, and my arm still hurts, but I love it!!!!! Behold my art project!

So, there ya go. This is what a child-free day will get you (along with a new shirt and some cute shoes). I sure do miss my little boogers, though, and can't wait to see them in the morning (after I sleep in). Yay!

2 comments:

Alayna said...

Wow, that is an AMAZING project! I love it! I am definitely not talented enough to pull off one of my own, so I'll just admire yours :)

Anonymous said...

Seriously, so cool! I am also not talented enough to pull this off, so I'm living vicariously. :)