Friday, May 21, 2010

Just an Update

So... in a nutshell, this week has been CRAZY! Mostly due to work, since Open House was last night. But it went well, I survived, and now I can relax for a bit. A long bit, actually, since Gus is taking the kids up to his parents' house for the weekend. I am looking forward to a weekend of sleeping, reading, shopping, and not much else! I love my babies, but this will be the first time I have been by myself in over a year. I'm kind of excited!

Anyway, Nikos has said so many hilarious things lately that it's hard to keep track or possibly recount them all. And the most hilarious one isn't really appropriate to post on here (let's just say it involved him comparing certain boy parts to "little baby oranges," haha!). But I will do my best to remember a few gems!

Last night: Nikos wanted to read a certain book, and mentioned it while he was in the bathtub. As Gus was pulling him out and drying him off, he said, "How about we put your diaper on first, THEN go read the book?" Nikos was overjoyed. He shrieked, "That's a GOOD PLAN, Daddy!" :)

The other day: Nikos got in trouble at daycare, which is pretty unusual these days. He was trying to climb on some piece of furniture, and Bonnie told him not to, which resulted in him getting really frustrated and trying to hit her. At dinner, I asked him what had happened at daycare, because I wanted him to tell Gus. He said, "I go time out." (me: "Why did you go to time out?") "I just climbing!" (me: "And...?") "And I hit Bonnie. But I just climbing!" Oh dear... already making excuses. Sheesh!

The other morning: There was an empty tupperware container sitting on the couch, which had previously housed delicious cake balls (I had polished off the last one the night before and had been lazy about putting the container in the sink). Nikos ran over to it, looked inside, and said: "Look, Mommy, the cake balls are all gone... because I ATE THEM!" haha! Little liar! But it was really cute, especially because I had never heard him use "because" before.

Other fun words/phrases that he's been tossing about lately: "that's for sure," "but I HAVE to" (when you tell him not to do something), "but I CAN'T" (when you tell him to do something), "mmm, delicious" and much more that I am most certainly forgetting.

It really is amazing to see how quickly he picks up and applies new words. And it also blows my mind when he starts talking about things that happened months ago... "Remember, Mommy? Remember when we go (insert place here)?" He remembers names and details, too. Like, "Remember when we go restaurant? I say hi to your friends! And I play trains with Brady! I no eat food at restaurant." (all of which was 100% true.) Or he'll ask me things, like: "You go to work today, Mommy?" You go to school?" (yes) "You see your friends at work? And big kids?"

Man, that kid is smart. In my own completely unbiased opinion, of course. And I haven't even mentioned his "pretend play," which is so hilarious and creative it will soon deserve a post all its own. :)

And then there is the quieter half of the duo, Miss Maya herself. She's getting over her ear infection, and seems to be back to her old, happy self. She still doesn't talk too much (likely because her brother does plenty of that!), but she is progressing at her own rate. She definitely says "Daddy" now, and something that sounds like "bop" or "bonk" when she bonks heads with us. It is so CUTE! My very favorite trait of hers, though, is her snuggliness. Take last night... I got home late, since we had Open House night at school, and both kids were asleep. I hadn't seen them since the morning, so I thought I'd sneak in and just give them kisses goodnight. It worked fine with Nikos, who barely woke up, gave me a little smile, and went to sleep. Maya, however, sprang to life and gave me the look that said, "Pick me up right now!" So, I had to. She heaved the biggest sigh, then rested her head against my neck and dozed off again. I just love feeling so loved by my little girl. ♥

In other news, my photography business is really starting to take off! I have been doing sessions for free, but am hoping to start charging a reduced fee for sessions starting in July. I am really enjoying myself, and now I know that I can do this AND be a teacher AND be a good mommy... so it's a win-win situation. I can't wait to go official!! :)

No comments: