Friday, October 9, 2009

Misc. Ramblings of a Happy Mom

I love my babies! Yes, it sounds like I am stating the obvious. But really, I do! And right now, I just feel like saying it for all the world to hear read.

When Nikos was born, I was stressed out. I can look back on it and totally see it now. Between his almost-constant crying, our initial breastfeeding troubles, and my post-partum hormone rollercoaster, it was a very tough time for us all. But we weathered the storm, and I grew to love my son with a certain fierceness that is indescribable. I felt very protective of him, and wanted nothing more than for him to be happy. And when he WAS happy, my heart swelled.

Throughout my second pregnancy, I was so excited. But a few weeks before Maya's birth, I began to feel sad. I thought that I would be depriving Nikos of my full attention, which he had become so accustomed to. I thought that I wouldn't be able to spend as much time with my baby boy once she arrived. I thought that our relationship would change forever. And I was right.

But not in the way that I thought.

When Maya was born, she was so mellow and happy from the very start. And while I fretted about how Nikos would react to his new sister, it was completely unfounded-- he adored her from the moment he laid eyes on her (and covered her with kisses!). My perspective changed that day. I realized that I wasn't taking anything away from him, but that I was GIVING him a sibling. And that she was lucky enough already to be born with one-- a big brother who was crazy about her. And while there have definitely been rough patches here and there, I can honestly say that having two children is better than having one. Because not only do I get to interact with two amazing kids, but I get to see them interact with each other. And that, to me, is the very best part of all.

I know it's sappy, but I just love being a family of four. I am so excited that I get to experience raising a boy AND a girl. I feel like this is what I was meant to do with my life. And though it may not always be smooth sailing, I am so happy that this is my life.

I love my babies! (have I mentioned that?) :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm crying!!! -Angie