Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring Break: Week in Review

What a fun week I have had, being a full-time mommy for a change! This past week was my long-awaited Spring Break, and I wasn't sure how things would go. When I was on maternity leave, the days were soooo long and exhausting, and also somewhat depressing because I felt pretty much confined to the house. But because Nikos is older now, and a LOT more interactive, we've had a great time together! Here's a rundown of all the fun things we did together:

Saturday: Gus' high school friend, Seyi, drove down from L.A. for a visit, so Nikos got to meet her for the first time. Their connection was cemented when our teething little man decided to gnaw on her fingers for quite some time! Seyi even stayed to watch Nikos eat rice cereal for the first time, even though it didn't go so well.

Sunday: Nikos met his great-grandmother Alexandra for the first time! She has been staying with family in Chicago for a while now (she lives in Greece), and flew out to visit Gus' parents for the week. She brought him all sorts of nice presents!

Monday: In the morning, I took Nikos to run errands, and he was an absolute angel! I had never even tried taking him to more than one store on the same trip, but we were very successful. After lunch, we went out again-- this time to buy him some swim trunks and a rash guard (swim shirt) at Old Navy. And before dinner, we took a nice long walk around the neighborhood and got to enjoy the smell of all the blossoming orange trees.

Tuesday: We made an exciting trip to the mall so that I could get my bridesmaid's dress for Grant and Melissa's wedding in July. Nikos was so well-behaved and happy, and he even let me try the dress on in the fitting room without making a fuss!

Wednesday: I already wrote about this, but we had so much fun getting Nikos' portraits taken for the first time! He was a natural when it came to posing, and it helped that we got a photographer who was good at getting him to smile. I had been hesitant to even try getting portraits done, because I was afraid he would freak out/cry the entire time. But my coworker gave me some good advice. She told me I should just do it-- because no matter what happens, that moment in time will be captured, and it will be priceless-- even if it involves crying! :) All in all, though, I was pleased with how they turned out... and can't wait to get the prints in a few weeks!

Thursday: We were supposed to meet up with Kori and Owen to go for a walk but, alas, the two kiddos appear to be on conflicting nap schedules. Instead, we ran a bunch of errands (now that I knew it could be done). We went and got some things for Gus' business trip, and bought a bunch of baby things at Target (I got a little carried away). When we got home, my Ergo had arrived and was waiting for me on the front porch! So naturally, we had to try it out. It is seriously the best baby carrier ever invented!

Friday: We went for a swim and Grandma and Grandpa's house! (see previous post) The "swim" itself lasted for less than ten minutes, but just seeing him in his little swim outfit was worth it! :)


Saturday: Early in the morning, we said goodbye to Daddy as he left for Chile (business trip). We made a trip to Babies R Us, which was jam-packed with other mommies and babies, and then stopped off at Jamba Juice on our way home. After naptime, we went out to the supermarket. Nikos was an old pro, and didn't fuss at all!

Sunday: That's today! We've stayed close to home today, since it's so hot outside. We called Grandpa (my dad) this morning to wish him a happy birthday, and zipped over to the store to get a few things. Nikos has been in a really happy, playful mood all day, so we've had a great time! In the evening, we'll probably take a walk around the neighborhood (once it starts to cool off a bit).

No comments: